Subject: [T2TRG] Considerations for converting from other serializations formats like Protocol Buffers and FlatBuffers

From: Jonathan Beri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 08:09:17 -0700

[x-post from cbor@:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cbor/acIUx_PPHd5Vu8QHtNFt0quPdeo/]

Hello,

I'm looking into a use case that would require converting data from
existing systems that output in well-defined serialization formats
(specifically Protocol Buffers
<https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/> and FlatBuffers
<https://google.github.io/flatbuffers/>) to CBOR. The goal is in part to
use other specifications like CoAP with this data as as well an existing
implementation of CoAP.

Has there been any investigation into converting to these formats? Any
lessons or points to consider? I've been reading up on CDDL - might that
help in implementing a conversion process?

Many thanks.

-- 
Jonathan Beri
linkedin.com/in/jonathanberi <https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanberi/>