Subject: [T2TRG] Azure Digital Twin Definition Language

From: Jonathan Beri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 15:05:30 -0700

https://github.com/Azure/IoTPlugandPlay/tree/master/DTDL

This week Microsoft had their developer event Build and one of the topics
was enhancements to their Digital Twins service
<https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/digital-twins/>. During a
presentation I learned that they've developed a JSON-LD description
language DTDL <https://github.com/Azure/IoTPlugandPlay>. Has anyone
evaluated it to see how it fits into this groups efforts? I recall seeing a
spreadsheet from Michael K. that compared different descriptions languages
but I don't recall if DTDL is included.

-- 
Jonathan Beri
linkedin.com/in/jonathanberi <https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanberi/>

---

From: Milan Milenkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 23:14:00 +0000

And on a related note, Microsoft, Dell et al announced formation of the Digital Twin Consortium<https://www.digitaltwinconsortium.org/> under the OMG umbrella to “… drive consistency in vocabulary, architecture, security and interoperability to help advance the use of digital twin technology in many industries from aerospace to natural resources.” I could not find technical details, but the two are probably related.

Regards,
Milan Milenkovic, Principal
IoTsense LLC, www.iotsense.com<http://www.iotsense.com/>, +1 650 431-8280

From: T2TRG <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Jonathan Beri
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [T2TRG] Azure Digital Twin Definition Language

This week Microsoft had their developer event Build and one of the topics was enhancements to their Digital Twins service<https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/digital-twins/>. During a presentation I learned that they've developed a JSON-LD description language DTDL<https://github.com/Azure/IoTPlugandPlay>.. Has anyone evaluated it to see how it fits into this groups efforts? I recall seeing a spreadsheet from Michael K. that compared different descriptions languages but I don't recall if DTDL is included.

--
Jonathan Beri
linkedin.com/in/jonathanberi<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanberi/>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 14:23:31 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

> […] DTDL.. Has anyone evaluated it to see how it fits into this groups efforts?

It is among the various ecosystems that we try to integrate.
Compared to other ecosystems, they are a little more advanced in some spaces; e.g., they did their own “data schema” format and managed to avoid some of the pitfalls of earlier approaches.
Certainly worth looking at.

> I recall seeing a spreadsheet from Michael K. that compared different descriptions languages but I don't recall if DTDL is included.

Michael contributed this spreadsheet to the WISHI repo:

https://github.com/t2trg/wishi/blob/master/slides/metamodel-survey.xlsx

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 18:18:32 +0100 (BST)

Would It be good to have available a list of pre-prepared strings for 
use with a language-independent version of each encoded as a numerical 
value?

This use of numerical codes is used in my own research project (which is 
mostly not about the Internet of Things)

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_research.htm

and the SNOMED CT system for clinical terminology.

https://www.snomed.org/

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/terminology-and-classifications/snomed-ct

This would not stop any other strings being used in Azure, but could 
help in some circumstances.

So, considering

https://github.com/Azure/IoTPlugandPlay/tree/master/DTDL#display-string-localization

could one have, for example, just with an example from what I have 
encoded at the moment, as an illustration of the format

  "displayName": {

         "en": "Good day.",

         "fr": "Bonjour.",

         "x-y":"!123"

          }

This could be helpful as use of such standardized codes could facilitate 
precise external localization lookup for languages not mentioned in any 
particular program that is written in Azure.

William Overington

Friday 22 May 2020

------ Original Message ------
From: "Jonathan Beri" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, 2020 May 21 At 23:05
Subject: [T2TRG] Azure Digital Twin Definition Language

https://github.com/Azure/IoTPlugandPlay/tree/master/DTDL 
<https://github.com/Azure/IoTPlugandPlay/tree/master/DTDL>

This week Microsoft had their developer event Build and one of the 
topics was enhancements to their Digital Twins service 
<https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/digital-twins/> . During a 
presentation I learned that they've developed a JSON-LD description 
language DTDL <https://github.com/Azure/IoTPlugandPlay> .. Has anyone 
evaluated it to see how it fits into this groups efforts? I recall 
seeing a spreadsheet from Michael K. that compared different 
descriptions languages but I don't recall if DTDL is included.

-- 

Jonathan Beri

  _______________________________________________
T2TRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/t2trg 
<https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/t2trg>