Subject: [tao-discuss] Last round of revisions for this version + doc management

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:50:35 +0200

Hi all,

We had some more (relatively small) suggestions and changes to the Tao.
I have two questions for you:

1. Is there anything we would like to still include in this new version?

2. Because we would probably need to re-create translations of this
document we probably need to think a bit about document management. What
would you propose as the best method for creating html out of this and
keeping track of translations? I was thinking of simply markdown
formatting this document and use a simple md2html converter. Any other
ideas/suggestions?

Best,

Niels

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
Datactive Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 07:56:22 -0700

> formatting this document and use a simple md2html converter. Any other

Do we know the plan for translations? On the previous round, getting the 
translations was quite a juggling act. It worked, but from the informal 
reports I heard, only the Chinese translation was used much at all.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Juliao Braga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 18:15:24 +0100

Spanish and Portuguese translations have been used intensively and have 
served very well for the dissemination of the IETF / IRTF in Latin 
America and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa and Europe. I'm not 
sure, but it seems to me that the Spanish translation has been used in 
Spanish-speaking countries outside Latin America.

Juliao

Em 15/06/2018 15:56, Paul Hoffman escreveu:
> _______________________________________________
> tao-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tao-discuss

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 10:20:59 -0700

On 15 Jun 2018, at 10:15, Juliao Braga wrote:

> Spanish and Portuguese translations have been used intensively and 
> have served very well for the dissemination of the IETF / IRTF in 
> Latin America and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa and Europe. 
> I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the Spanish translation has been 
> used in Spanish-speaking countries outside Latin America.

Great, this is good to hear! I had heard from a bunch of Chinese 
speakers about the Chinese translation, but not from others. I'm glad 
the translation effort is worth it.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Aris Lambrianidis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 19:21:05 +0200

Aren’t there website traffic statistics per language to roughly gauge interest, at least for the existing translations? An informal survey
might also be of help..

--Aris

> On 15 Jun 2018, at 19:15 , Juliao Braga <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Spanish and Portuguese translations have been used intensively and have served very well for the dissemination of the IETF / IRTF in Latin America and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa and Europe. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the Spanish translation has been used in Spanish-speaking countries outside Latin America.
> 
> Juliao
> 
>> Do we know the plan for translations? On the previous round, getting the translations was quite a juggling act. It worked, but from the informal reports I heard, only the Chinese translation was used much at all.
>> --Paul Hoffman

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 08:52:02 +1200

> 1. Is there anything we would like to still include in this new version?

I think we're OK on content. Might I suggest two things:

1. We really need a convenient way to look at the diffs. Everybody has
their preferred solution, but with flowed text none of the solutions
are very good. (I did it by wrapping the lines to 72 and using rfcdiff.)

2. Somebody should do a copy-edit pass. There are a few English syntax
glitches.

Thanks for all the work
   Brian

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 17:06:01 -0400

> On Jun 15, 2018, at 4:52 PM, Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

There is as easy place to handle diffs:
https://www.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/ <https://www.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/>

Through the datatracker, you can easily diff I-Ds that have already been posted.

This URL lets you use files from a URL or you can upload a file from your computer.

Russ

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 10:49:36 +1200

On 16/06/2018 09:06, Russ Housley wrote:
> https://www.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/ 

But it works very badly for flowed txt files such as Niels sent.
It works perfectly  for 72 column txt files, as I said.

   Brian

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 16:38:14 -0400

> On Jun 15, 2018, at 6:49 PM, Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Right.  I recall that you sent the diff that you made to the list to assist others.

I misunderstood the point that you were making the first time I read your message.  I thought you wanted Niels to tell people about rfcdiff in the Tao.

Russ