Subject: [Taps] Transport Services (TAPS) implementation at IETF 104 hackathon

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 19:05:44 +0100

Hi everyone,

At the IETF 104 hackathon in Prague, my colleagues and I will be working
on a Transport Services (TAPS) implementation.

For those who are not familiar with TAPS, here's a quick summary:

TAPS describes an abstract interface on top of different transport
protocols.
TAPS implementations provide a transport protocol-independent API to
applications. Through this API, instead of explicitly choosing a
transport protocol, an application specifies more abstract requirements
and preferences. These can be Transport Services such as reliable data
transfer, in-order delivery, optimizing for low latency, and others. The
TAPS implementation will then determine what transport protocols are
available and select one of them. It may also select between multiple
available local interfaces or remote endpoints.

For more information, see our drafts:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-taps-arch/ (TAPS architecture)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-taps-interface/ (abstract
interface)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-taps-impl/ (implementation
considerations)

Specifically, we will be working on a new TAPS implementation based on
Python asyncio: https://github.com/fg-inet/python-asyncio-taps.

Current ideas for the hackathon include: Incorporate more transport
protocols (SCTP? QUIC?), implement (non-trivial) transport protocol
selection, and incorporate security protocols, e.g., TLS.

Anyone who wants to join our table is very welcome to do so.

Best regards,
Theresa