Subject: Re: [Taps] Transport Services (taps) WG Virtual Meeting: 2021-05-07

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 08:08:56 -0700

Dear TAPS,

Just a quick reminder that we're having an interim meeting tomorrow, see 
below.

We'll start off by discussing draft-duke-taps-transport-discovery and 
then discuss issues as usual.

Best,
Theresa

On 4/9/21 10:59 AM, IESG Secretary wrote:
> The Transport Services (taps) WG will hold
> a virtual interim meeting on 2021-05-07 from 11:00 to 13:00 America/New_York (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).
>
> Agenda:
> - Issues: https://github.com/ietf-tapswg/api-drafts/issues
> - PRs: https://github.com/ietf-tapswg/api-drafts/pulls
> - Follow-up discussion on: How TAPS might discover what protocol implementations exist on a platform (Martin Duke)
>
> Information about remote participation:
> https://ietf.webex.com/meet/taps
>
> _______________________________________________
> Taps mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/taps
>

---

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 10:36:09 -0700

Dear TAPS,

Thank you for another productive interim meeting!

The next interim meeting will be on Friday June 11th, from 11:00 to 
13:00 America/New_York (15:00 to 17:00 UTC), i.e., the usual time.

For notes on today's interim, see below or the datatracker: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-taps-05/session/taps

Agenda:
     * Follow-up discussion on: How TAPS might discover what protocol 
implementations exist on a platform: draft-duke-taps-transport-discovery 
(Martin Duke)
     * Issues: https://github.com/ietf-tapswg/api-drafts/issues
     * PRs: https://github.com/ietf-tapswg/api-drafts/pulls

Notes from today:
     * draft-duke-taps-transport-discovery:
         * Aaron: How does TAPS decide between multiple implementations 
of the same protocol?
         * Martin: Sometimes, they have different capabilities, which 
makes it easy. If not, an implementation could choose the most recent 
code, the least recent code, the most "trustworthy" source, or open up 
policy to the application/user.
         * <Much talk about opening policy to the application>
         * Aaron: Should there be persistence applied to 
protocol/implementation choices?
         * Group Response: You'll often race anyway, so you don't have 
to choose. Picking the same thing deterministically is good for 
debugging and good for probably working on the first try. However, there 
are privacy disadvantages.
         * Martin will write some code around this and would appreciate 
more feedback on the TAPS list or in the 
Github: https://github.com/martinduke/draft-duke-taps-transport-discovery
         * Tommy will present at June meeting on Apple's approach to 
protocol discovery
     * Survey on next interim (+1 if you can attend)
         * Friday June 4: +1 +1 +1 +1+0.5+1-1
         * Friday June 11: +1 +0.5 +1 +1+1+1+0.5
         * Decision: June 11, usual time
     * Have a TAPS meeting at IETF 111 in July?
         * Could do 60 min: Input on Arch and API, 
draft-taps-transport-discovery, first proposals on mapping docs
         * Could talk about implementation work, maybe in the TSVAREA 
Open meeting

Best,
Theresa