Subject: [tcmtf] M2M, WSNs and draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

From: FERNANDO PASCUAL BLANCO <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:22:54 +0000

Hello all,

I think that a potential application scenario could be M2M networks, for example, Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs). WSNs are local wireless networks composed by small devices acquiring environment information and sometimes acting over the environment (fire detection, air pollution monitoring, smart metering, care for gardens, security, structure monitoring, agriculture, ecology, greenhouses...). Sometimes, those devices has a local connectivity using ZigBee or 802.15.4 (there is a IETF WG named 6loWPAN, using IPv6 over that networks) and they have a gateway with fixed (xDSL) or mobile (3G/HSPA) networks towards (for example over the Internet) the servers storing and processing the information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_sensor_network

As you can imagine, in many cases the size of the packets is very small, and in some scenarios you could have a lot of devices sending information over the same gateway, generating a lot of inefficient data packets (with low payload).

The question is: Could that scenario be considered as a candidate to apply TCMTF?

Best Regards,

Fernando

________________________________

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar nuestra pol?tica de env?o y recepci?n de correo electr?nico en el enlace situado m?s abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at.
http://www.tid.es/ES/PAGINAS/disclaimer.aspx

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:16:18 +0000

Dear Fernando, dear all,

I also see the case of M2M networks as an appealing scenario where TCMTF could be used profitably. In addition to Fernando's consideration I would also add the case of WSN connected via satellite to data/monitoring centres. Since satellite capacity is not uniquely assigned to a specific applications or service providers, an efficient multiplexing (e.g., compression and tunneling) would be more than welcome to accommodate properly the WSN data flows. In this context, traffic classification could also play an important role to perform multiplexing and apply the appropriate compression algorithm in the most efficient way.

Best Regards,

Tomaso

------------------------
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Communications und Navigation | Satellite Networks | Oberpfaffenhofen | 82234 Wessling | Germany
Tomaso de Cola, Ph.D.
Telefon +49 8153 28-2156 | Telefax  +49 8153 28-2844 | [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut/abteilungen/san

De: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> [mailto:[email-masked]]<mailto:[mailto:[email-masked]]> En nombre de FERNANDO PASCUAL BLANCO
Enviado el: viernes, 13 de julio de 2012 11:23
Para: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Asunto: [tsvwg] M2M, WSNs and draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

Hello all,

Best Regards,

Fernando

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar nuestra política de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at.
http://www.tid.es/ES/PAGINAS/disclaimer.aspx

---

From: FERNANDO PASCUAL BLANCO <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 06:54:48 +0000

Dear Tomaso,

                Absolutely. M2M networks and satellite networks are very good candidates to apply TCMTF, and rightly in that case.

Regards,

Fernando

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: martes, 17 de julio de 2012 15:16
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] [tsvwg] M2M, WSNs and draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

Dear Fernando, dear all,

Best Regards,

Tomaso

------------------------

Hello all,

Best Regards,

Fernando

---

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:10:19 +0200

Dear Tomaso and Fernando,

I think this is a really interesting case where TCMTF can be used. I have to
say that we had not thought about it when we first proposed the multiplexing
idea. But, as you say, this is a scenario with good characteristics for
multiplexing:

-          A lot of flows sharing a common path: In this case, the common
path is from the “gateway” to the place where data is stored or analyzed.

-          Small packets, where header compression implies a significant
reduction in the total size.

-          Scarce bandwidth: In satellite links it is clear, but also if a
xDSL or 3G connection is used, bandwidth can be scarce depending on the
number of sensors.

-          Perhaps not very tight real-time limits: This is good, since we
can multiplex a big number of packets. I mean, in some of these scenarios 5
seconds may not be too much time. So perhaps we could wait until we have a
MTU-sized packet to send.

Nevertheless, in order to get an idea of the savings, we should deploy some
calculations. Our research group has only done simulations for VoIP and
games. In this case, we should know:

-          Number of sensors in a typical scenario.

-          Packet size and used headers. If IPv6 is used, savings can be
really big, since header compression is really good for it. 

-          Packets per second that a single sensor can generate.

And of course, the gateway should be the place for multiplexing. In this
case, the flows only travel from sensors to data center. Am I right?

Thanks,

Jose

De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Enviado el: martes, 17 de julio de 2012 15:16
Para: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Asunto: RE: [tsvwg] M2M, WSNs and draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

Dear Fernando, dear all,

I also see the case of M2M networks as an appealing scenario where TCMTF
could be used profitably. In addition to Fernando’s consideration I would
also add the case of WSN connected via satellite to data/monitoring centres.
Since satellite capacity is not uniquely assigned to a specific applications
or service providers, an efficient multiplexing (e.g., compression and
tunneling) would be more than welcome to accommodate properly the WSN data
flows. In this context, traffic classification could also play an important
role to perform multiplexing and apply the appropriate compression algorithm
in the most efficient way.

Best Regards,

Tomaso

———————————————————————— 
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR) 
German Aerospace Center 
Institute of Communications und Navigation | Satellite Networks |
Oberpfaffenhofen | 82234 Wessling | Germany 

Tomaso de Cola, Ph.D. 
Telefon +49 8153 28-2156 | Telefax  +49 8153 28-2844 |
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] 
 <http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut/abteilungen/san>
http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut/abteilungen/san 

De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de
FERNANDO PASCUAL BLANCO
Enviado el: viernes, 13 de julio de 2012 11:23
Para: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Asunto: [tsvwg] M2M, WSNs and draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

Hello all,

I think that a potential application scenario could be M2M networks, for
example, Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs). WSNs are local wireless networks
composed by small devices acquiring environment information and sometimes
acting over the environment (fire detection, air pollution monitoring, smart
metering, care for gardens, security, structure monitoring, agriculture,
ecology, greenhouses…). Sometimes, those devices has a local connectivity
using ZigBee or 802.15.4 (there is a IETF WG named 6loWPAN, using IPv6 over
that networks) and they have a gateway with fixed (xDSL) or mobile (3G/HSPA)
networks towards (for example over the Internet) the servers storing and
processing the information. 

 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_sensor_network>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_sensor_network

As you can imagine, in many cases the size of the packets is very small, and
in some scenarios you could have a lot of devices sending information over
the same gateway, generating a lot of inefficient data packets (with low
payload).

The question is: Could that scenario be considered as a candidate to apply
TCMTF?

Best Regards,

Fernando

  _____  

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar
nuestra política de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace
situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and
receive email on the basis of the terms set out at.
http://www.tid.es/ES/PAGINAS/disclaimer.aspx