Subject: [tcmtf] Asking for feedback about including MPLS in draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:45:46 +0200

Dear all,

This is the last idea about improving the draft: the inclusion of MPLS as a
possibility for the tunneling part, in addition to L2TP/IP. We have thought
to add this subsection to the draft:

----------------

2.4.2 MPLS tunneling

In some scenarios, mainly in operator´s core networks, the use of MPLS is
widely deployed as data transport method. The adoption of MPLS as tunneling
layer in that proposal intends to natively adapt TCMTF to those transport
networks.

In the same way that layer 3 tunnels, MPLS paths, identified by MPLS labels,
established between Label Edge Routers (LSRs) could be used to transport the
compressed payloads within an MPLS network. This way, multiplexing layer
must be placed over MPLS layer. Note that, in this case, layer 3 tunnel
headers should not be used, with the consequent data efficiency improvement.

---------------

So the new scheme could be this one:

       TCP    UDP  RTP/UDP

        |      |      |

         \     |     /                    ------------------------------

           \   |   /

Nothing or ROHC or ECRTP or IPHC             header compressing layer

               |

               |                          ------------------------------

               |

   PPPMUX or other mux protocols                multiplexing layer

               |

              / \                         ------------------------------

             /   \

            /     \

   GRE or L2TP     \                              tunneling layer

          |        MPLS

          |                               ------------------------------

          IP

We don’t think any modification in MPLS would be necessary.

Thank you very much,

Jose Saldana