Subject: [tcmtf] Interesting results of the combination of LISP and TCMTF

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:48:23 +0100

Hi all.

Some months ago, Luigi Iannone suggested the idea of “putting together”
TCMTF and LISP. TCMTF uses Tunneling, Multiplexing and header Compression of
Traffic Flows (TCMTF) in order to save bandwidth and to reduce the amount of
packets per time unit.
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf/)

We have done some simulations, and we have just got accepted a paper to be
presented in IEEE ICC 2013 conference in Budapest in June. A draft version
is here:

 <http://diec.unizar.es/~jsaldana/personal/budapest_ICC_2013_in_proc.pdf>
http://diec.unizar.es/~jsaldana/personal/budapest_ICC_2013_in_proc.pdf

Taking into account that encapsulation is necessary in LISP, bandwidth can
be drastically reduced in flows using small packets, which are typical of
many real-time services, like online games, VoIP, etc. by means of header
compression and multiplexing of a number of packets.

The headers added by LISP  are 36 bytes (20 IP + 8 UDP + 8 LISP), and this
would be significant for small packets (e.g., a VoIP packet can be 60 bytes
long). So multiplexing together a number of packets traveling between the
same pair of networks can save a lot of bandwidth. We have obtained these
results:

- VoIP: 70% saving

- First Person Shooter games: 54% saving

- MMORPG games: up to 80% saving

- Grouping TCP ACKs: 45% saving

We have also studied the ability of the LISP framework to manage the
signaling of TCMTF options.

We think these results are interesting, so we wanted to share them here.
Feel free to read the paper and discuss about it.

Thanks a lot,

Jose Saldana