Subject: [tcpinc] RFC 8547 on TCP-ENO: Encryption Negotiation Option

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 08:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8547

        Title:      TCP-ENO: Encryption Negotiation Option 
        Author:     A. Bittau,
                    D. Giffin,
                    M. Handley,
                    D. Mazieres,
                    E. Smith
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 72176
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-19.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8547

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8547

Despite growing adoption of TLS, a significant fraction of TCP
traffic on the Internet remains unencrypted.  The persistence of
unencrypted traffic can be attributed to at least two factors.
First, some legacy protocols lack a signaling mechanism (such as a
STARTTLS command) by which to convey support for encryption, thus
making incremental deployment impossible.  Second, legacy
applications themselves cannot always be upgraded and therefore
require a way to implement encryption transparently entirely within
the transport layer.  The TCP Encryption Negotiation Option (TCP-ENO)
addresses both of these problems through a new TCP option kind
providing out-of-band, fully backward-compatible negotiation of
encryption.

This document is a product of the TCP Increased Security Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC