Subject: [tcpm] 1323 & TCP MSS in Appendix A

From: David Borman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:16:22 -0600

Hi,

In Chicago we discussed moving the description of the TCP MSS option  
out of Appendix A and into a separate document.  I don't recall coming  
to a decision, I think we were going to take it to the mailing list.   
So, here's the question:

Should I take the description of the TCP MSS option out of Appendix A  
and put it into a separate draft, or should we just leave it in the  
revision for 1323?

I believe the argument for moving it out into a separate document was  
that this is an important point the implementors continue to get  
wrong, so pulling it out into a separate document will bring more  
visibility.

My personal opinion is that not that strong, I'd be fine with leaving  
it in 1323.bis, and also fine with moving it to its own draft document.

			-David Borman

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:23:20 -0800

Hi David,

I am not sure which way is better and I don't have issues either way,
but I'll bite...

I think having a separate document which explains the pro's and con's of
accounting the the options in the advertised MSS, clarifying the right
approach sounds good. Another point in favour of a separate doc is that
TCP MSS description probably looks out of place in RFC 1323 which mainly
talks about high performance TCP options. I do agree, that having larger
MSS results in better TCP throughput and performance though :-) 

-Anantha

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of David Borman
> Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:16 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [tcpm] 1323 & TCP MSS in Appendix A
> 
> Hi,
> 
> In Chicago we discussed moving the description of the TCP MSS 
> option out of Appendix A and into a separate document.  I 
> don't recall coming  
> Should I take the description of the TCP MSS option out of 
> Appendix A and put it into a separate draft, or should we 
> just leave it in the revision for 1323?
> 
> I believe the argument for moving it out into a separate 
> document was that this is an important point the implementors 
> continue to get wrong, so pulling it out into a separate 
> document will bring more visibility.
> 
> My personal opinion is that not that strong, I'd be fine with 
> leaving it in 1323.bis, and also fine with moving it to its 
> own draft document.
> 
> 			-David Borman
>

---

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:56:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Anantha Ramaiah (ananth) wrote:
> talks about high performance TCP options.

I agree.

The MSS option really has a different scope: it applies to all TCP 
implementations, high speed or otherwise and is essentially a mandatory 
clarification of earlier documents.  It is also valuable and important to help 
middle box implementers (who often futz with the MSS option) to get it less 
wrong.

Thanks,
--MM--