Subject: [tcpm] tcp-security and the outline

From: David Borman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:01:28 -0500

Hi everyone,

There seems to be some confusion about the whole outline document for  
the tcp-security draft.  Wes and I have discussed this.  The  
background is that as the chairs of tcpm, our goal is to make it easy  
to transition from the original draft document to the new document,  
and to systematically transfer the information from the original draft  
to the new document.

1) The transfer of the information should happen in small sections  
that are reformatted into the style of RFC 1122/23, where each section  
states up front what is the recommendation, followed by a DISCUSSION  
and/or IMPLEMENTATION section that explains things in further detail.  
The goal is that if an implementor just wants to know what to do, that  
is up front in each section, and it is easy to skip over the  
supporting discussion for that recommendation.

2) The reformatted text can be put into an updated version of the  
draft, and then discussed on the mailing list.  When agreement is  
reached, any necessary changes will go into a new draft, possibly  
along with the next section to be discussed.  I fully expect that this  
will lead to many draft versions, we might even be able to set a  
record for the largest number of revisions to a draft. :-)

As each new section is put into the draft for discussion, putting in  
some temporary formatting to indicate which section(s) are under  
discussion will eliminate confusion to the casual reader as to which  
sections have been agreed to, and which ones are under discussion.

What we want to avoid is a shotgun approach where people are reviewing  
pieces from all over the original draft, we jump around reformatting  
sections, and have a mish-mash of a document in both old and new  
format, with both discussed and not discussed items.

			-David Borman and Wes Eddy, TCPM co-chairs