Subject: [tcpm] Document Action: 'ICMP attacks against TCP' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:20:12 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'ICMP attacks against TCP '
   <draft-ietf-tcpm-icmp-attacks-12.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-icmp-attacks-12.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document discusses the use of the Internet Control Message
Protocol (ICMP) to perform a variety of attacks against the
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). Additionally, it describes
a number of widely implemented modifications to TCP's
handling of ICMP error messages that help to mitigate these issues. 

Working Group Summary
 
This document was originally proposed for publication on the 
standards track. The WG did not reach consensus that the IETF
should recommend the mitigation techniques documented in this
document due to a number of associated drawbacks, although
some of the these techniques are widely implemented in
popular TCP stacks. There was WG consensus to publish a
description of these techniques as an Informational RFC, to
document deployed stack behavior.
 
Protocol Quality
 
There are several existing implementations that perform certain
activities described in this document.  These come from many
different vendors and other sources, and some are widely deployed.

Personnel

Wesley Eddy ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document for the IESG.