Subject: [tcpm] WG status update

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[ASRC AEROSPACE CORP]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:08:46 -0500

Hello TCPM, going into the Anaheim meeting, here's a brief
snapshot of the WG status as we know it.

***Please note that there are two drafts under poll for
becoming WG items, and very few responses have been
received on these.  Any feedback will be useful.***

WG Items Nearing RFC Publication
================================

Early-Retransmit
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-early-rexmt-04.txt
Milestone Target: Experimental in July 2009
Status: In RFC Editor's queue
Action: None in TCPM

ICMP Attacks
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-icmp-attacks-11.txt
Milestone Target: Informational in July 2009
Status: finished IETF LC, with IESG
Action: None in TCPM

TCP Authentication Option
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-10.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in April 2009
Status: sent to IESG
Action: None in TCPM; authors resolving IESG issues

TCP Authentication Option Crypto
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-ao-crypto-01.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard with AO spec
Status: sent to IESG
Action: None in TCPM; authors resolving IESG issues

WG Items in WGLC or being revised after WGLC
============================================

Urgent Pointer
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-05.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in January 2010
Status: updated after WGLC
Action: chairs (David) writing PROTO for sending to IESG

MSS Option
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpmss-02.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in July 2009
Status: WGLC started 8/19, ended 9/8 (extended)
Action: being updated based on several of the comments (action with D. Borman)
        needs another WGLC after being revised

Active WG Items
===============

1323bis
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-1323bis-01.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in July 2009
Status: Needs revision
Action: Revise & WGLC (action with D. Borman)

TCP Security
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-security-01.txt
Milestone Target: BCP in August 2010
Status: outline discussion dying off?  content needs work
Action: 00-draft / outline has been under active discussion; but not attained
          very clear consensus
        WG has begun working on recommendations while still looking for a
          possible compromise on outline (action with Fernando Gont)

Long Connectivity Disruptions
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-lcd-00.txt
(need to submit WG version)
Milestone Target: Experimental in October 2010
Status: sumbitted as initial WG document; authors think no real issues are left
Action: need WG to read/discuss; may be close to ready for last call

SACK Entry
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-sack-recovery-entry-01.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in October 2010
Action: need WG to read/discuss
        discussion underway of working on this as update to 3517

Documents Under a Poll to Become WG Items
=========================================

Clarification of sender behavior in persist condition.
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ananth-tcpm-persist-01.txt
Status: discussed on mailing list and in face-to-face meetings
        WG poll opened on March 8
Action: Need responses from WG if this is to be supported

Timestamps
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-timestamps-01.txt
Status: discussed on mailing list and at Minneapolis meeting
        WG poll opened on March 8
Action: Need responses from WG if this is to be supported

Other Proposals Not Yet Decided On
==================================

NewReno Modification
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nishida-newreno-modification-01.txt
Action: need WG to read/discuss
        presentation given, document updated, but WG list not yet polled for adoption

AO NAT
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-touch-tcp-ao-nat-00.txt
Action: WG review/discuss issues raised by Eric Rescorla; to be
        considered as a potential update to the AO spec AFTER
        the base AO spec is published

AO Rekeying
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-duan-tcpm-tcp-ao-rekeying-00.txt
Action: WG to discuss (Anaheim & mailing list)

Increasing TCP's Initial Window
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hkchu-tcpm-initcwnd-00
Action: WG to discuss (Anaheim & mailing list)

Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-paxson-tcpm-rfc2988bis-00.txt
Action: WG to discuss (Anaheim & mailing list)

Older & Expired Documents Discussed
===================================

discussions on Rate-Halving
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt
Action: mailing list discussion about the history of this, and whether
        it needs to be revived

Faster Application Handshakes with SYN/ACK Payloads
expired draft-agl-tcpm-sadata-01
Status: expired; not specifically polled for adoption in WG

Documents Not Adopted by WG
===========================

TCP Option for Transparent Middlebox Discovery
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-knutsen-tcpm-middlebox-discovery-03.txt
Status: discussed on mailing list and updated in response
        poll for working group adoption opened on 12/9, responses
          desired by 12/23
        decision not to adopt by WG; IESG may allow publication and
          option number assignment at their discretion, but TCPM does
          not have consensus to do this work

Other WG Activities
===================

Errata Review for legacy TCP RFCs:

RFC0793 (1496)  3.9  	Technical  	Legacy  Yin Shuming  		2008-08-27
RFC0793 (1561) 	3.2 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1562) 	3.3 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1563) 	3.4 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1564) 	3.7 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1565) 	3.8 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1566) 	3.9 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1567) 	3.9 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1568) 	3.9 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1569) 	2.4 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1570) 	2.7 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1571) 	3.1 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1572) 	3.4 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems