Subject: [tcpm] draft-simpson-tcpct-02

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:17:29 -0400

A new version has been submitted for draft-simpson-tcpct:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-simpson-tcpct-02.txt

On 4/1/10 9:44 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:
# The ID is slated for discussion on the very next IESG telechat on April 8.
#
The IESG missed their self-imposed deadline for review.  However, I've
received a half-dozen comments during the past few weeks, including a WG
chair, some area directors, and various hoi polloi.

This is not a TCPM WG product.  Here's a summary of the changes since -00.

The major change to -01 was the restoration of an earlier, more complete
listing of expected Length variants of cookies and cookie-less options.

A minor change to -01 was some implementation notes from FreeBSD, which
has much smarter syncookie handling than Linux.

The major change to -02 was the *removal* of the Length variants again!
(This is harder to notice, as they are simply no longer present.)  Later
reviewers found them confusing, as implementation is not required.  The
variants without cookies or without timestamps are intended only for use
with authentication, "beyond the scope of this specification".

A minor change to -02 is the addition of 128-bit timestamps, anticipating
future NTP5 support.  "Forewarned is forearmed."  This change in format is
fairly insignificant, as nobody yet supports 64-bit TCP Timestamps!

Another change is hiding the SYN-only options in the header extension to
inhibit middleware interference.  There wasn't any actual testing that
found this hypothetical problem, but it's not too painful (although this
complicates the option generation code).  See Appendix A examples.

The trivial changes are format, reference, and wording nits.  That we're
down to wording nits indicates this is a mature specification!

Please approve the IANA code points and RFC publication.