Subject: [tcpm] CFP - PFLDNet

From: Murari Sridharan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:57:02 +0000

Please consider submitting a paper to PFLDNet, the deadline is fast approaching (October 4 for abstracts, October 8 for position papers). As in previous years, it is co-located with ICCRG.

Thanks
Murari

CALL FOR PAPERS

PFLDNeT 2010

The 8th International Workshop on Protocols for Future,
Large-Scale and Diverse Network Transports (PFLDNeT)

Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
November 28-29, 2010
Web page: http://pfld.net/2010

Scope:

The Internet continues to evolve along several dimensions, allowing
more and more end systems to communicate in increasingly diverse ways.
At one end of the performance spectrum, the Internet protocols provide
communication facilities for extremely-high-speed special-use
networks. At the other end of the performance spectrum, the Internet
contains very low-power and low-bandwidth networks that cater to
infrequent, bursty communication. Enabling efficient and high-
performance end-to-end communication across such a diverse
internetwork is a difficult problem, which is not solved by current
transport layer protocols.  The need to support an application base
that grows more and more dissimilar adds additional challenges.

The 8th International Workshop on Protocols for Future, Large-scale &
Diverse Network Transports (PFLDNeT) brings together researchers and
practitioners from all continents to exchange their ideas and
experiences in the area of transport issues for modern communication
networks. The workshop provides theorists, experimentalists and
technologists with a focused, highly interactive opportunity to
present, discuss and exchange experience on leading research,
development and future directions in transport and application
protocols for networks that are increasingly growing in size,
heterogeneity and dynamicity of interaction.

PFLDNeT 2010 solicits papers that further the research on end-to-end
communication protocols for todays and tomorrows Internet in all its
diversity along the continuum from specialized grid networks, optical
transports, wireless connections, to lossy and low-power networks.  A
specific focus of the workshop lies on transport protocols for the
efficient end-to-end transfer of data for a diverse set of
applications and application-layer protocols.

Now approaching its eighth instantiation, the PFLDneT workshop has
broadened its focus over the years from protocols targeted at specific
fast, long-distance networks (the original expansion of the PFLDneT
acronym) into a venue where all kinds of new ideas relating to
end-to-end transport protocols for diverse network scenarios are being
discussed first.

The previous International Workshops on Protocols for Fast, Long-
Distance Networks held at CERN (2003), Argonne (2004), Lyon (2005),
Nara (2006), Marina del Rey (2007), Manchester (2008), and Tokyo
(2009) were very successful in bringing together many researchers from
all over the world, including North America, Europe and Asia, who are
working on these problems.  PFLDNeT 2010 will continue this tradition,
and provide a perfect forum for researchers in this area to exchange
ideas and experience.

As in previous years, a meeting of the IRTF Internet Congestion
Control Research Group (ICCRG) will be co-located with PFLDNeT, on
November 29, 2010.

Important Dates and Relevant Event Information:

Abstract submission: October 4, 2010
Position paper submission: October 8, 2010
Notification of acceptance: October 27, 2010
Final camera ready submission: November 14, 2010
Workshop: November 28-29, 2010
IRTF ICCRG meeting (co-located): November 29, 2010

Note: PFLDNeT 2010 will be immediately before CoNEXT 2010, and its venue
is located only a short drive or train ride from Philadelphia, making it
easy to attend both events in one trip.

Topics:

PFLDNeT 2010 covers all aspects related to transport protocols for the
current and future Internet, including, but not limited to:

- Transport protocol development
- Enhancements to TCP and other transports
- Innovative congestion control mechanisms
- Novel data transport protocols designed for new networks and applications
- Transport services for data center networks and grids
- Transport services for wireless and sensor networks
- Explicit signaling protocols: optimization criteria and deployment strategies
- Pacing and shaping of traffic
- Parallel transfers and multi-streaming
- Performance evaluation
- Modeling and simulation-based results
- Interaction of transport protocols and network equipment
- Experiments on real networks and live measurements
- Transport protocol benchmarking
- Transport over optical networks
- Transport implementation and hardware issues
- End system performance
- Data replication and striping
- Applications with demanding or unusual network performance requirements
- Bulk-data transfer applications
- Quality-of-service and scalability issues
- Multicast

Workshop Organizers:

Program Committee Chairs:
Bryan Ford, Yale University, USA
Injong Rhee, North Carolina State University, USA

Steering Committee:
Lachlan Andrew, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
Lars Eggert, Nokia Research Center, Finland
Richard Hughes-Jones, Univ. of Manchester, UK
Katsushi Kobayashi, AIST, Japan
Doug Leith, Hamilton Institute, Ireland
Injong Rhee, North Carolina State University, USA
Pascale Vicat-Blanc, INRIA, France
Michael Welzl, University of Oslo, Norway

Technical Program Committee (preliminary):
Mark Allman, ICIR, USA
Scott Brim, Cisco, USA
Bob Briscoe, BT, UK
Dirceu Cavendish, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Japan
Stuart Cheshire, Apple, USA
Larry Dunn, University of Minnesota, USA
Lars Eggert, Nokia Research Center, Finland
Ted Faber, USC/ISI, USA
Saikat Guha, Microsoft Research, India
Sangtae Ha, Princeton University, USA
Janardhan Iyengar, Franklin & Marshall College, USA
Katsushi Kobayashi, AIST, Japan
Aleksandar Kuzmanovic, Northwestern University, USA
Preethi Natarajan, Cisco, USA
Joerg Ott, TKK, Finland
Narasimha Reddy, Texas A&M University, USA
Medy Sanadidi, UCLA, USA
Pasi Sarolahti, Aalto University, Finland
Michael Scharf, Alcatel-Lucent, Germany
Hideyuki Shimonishi, NEC, Japan
Murari Sridharan, Microsoft, USA
Joe Touch, USC/ISI, USA
Michael Welzl, University of Oslo, Norway
Lisong Xu, University of Nebraska, USA

Local Arrangements:
Janardhan Iyengar, Franklin & Marshall College, USA