Subject: [tcpm] TCPM status for 9/20/10

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[ASRC AEROSPACE CORP]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:45:00 -0500

Below is a snapshot of TCPM status that I think is up-to-date.  Any
corrections and clarifications are welcome, as usual.

In the near-term, the items of general interest that input would be
most helpful on are responses to the timestamps draft WGLC and
confirmation of the 2988bis draft being adopted.

Also, the "historicize" WGLC date has closed without a lot of feedback,
which (based on past threads) we're interpreting as general approval.

Recent RFCs
===========

The TCP Authentication Option
RFC 5925
June 2010

Cryptographic Algorithms for the TCP Authentication Option (TCP-AO)
RFC 5926
June 2010

ICMP Attacks Against TCP
RFC 5927
July 2010

Improving TCP's Robustness to Blind In-Window Attacks
RFC 5961
August 2010

WG Items Nearing RFC Publication
================================

Long Connectivity Disruptions
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-lcd-03.txt
(need to submit WG version)
Milestone Target: Experimental in October 2010
Status: In RFC Editor's queue since 9/14/2010

Urgent Data
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-05.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in January 2010
Status: in IETF last call
Action: collecting IETF LC comments & dispositions

WG Items in WGLC or being revised after WGLC
============================================

MSS Option
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpmss-03.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in July 2009
Status: WGLC started 8/19, ended 9/8 (extended)
        2nd WGLC started at IETF 77, and is ended with few comments
Action: David will check with commenters from first WGLC to see
          if issues are closed
        Wes will write PROTO and send to the IESG, after WGLC starts
          and completes

draft-eggert-tcpm-historicize-00
Status: poll started 6/24; generally positive responses
        WGLC started on 8/19, to close 9/17 - some positive and no negative
          responses
Action: gather comments until WGLC close 9/17
        chairs to create milestone (propose October 2010)

Timestamps
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-timestamps-00.txt
Milestone Target: needs to be added to charter
Status: In WGLC until 10/1 - some feedback received

Active WG Items
===============

1323bis
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-1323bis-01.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in July 2009
Status: Needs revision
Action: Revise & WGLC (action with D. Borman)

TCP Security
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-security-01.txt
Milestone Target: BCP in August 2010
Status: content needs work
Action: progress on recommendations made at IETF 77 needs to be worked into
          the next version of draft (D. Borman to work w/ Fernando)
        plan to have webex meeting prior to Beijing IETF
        David Borman to pass notes from Anaheim to Fernando prior to webex

SACK Entry
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-sack-recovery-entry-01.txt
Milestone Target: Proposed Standard in October 2010
Action: Expired ... needs to be resubmitted and finished off

Clarification of sender behavior in persist condition
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-persist-00.txt
Milestone Target: needs to be added to charter
Status: initial draft submitted
Action: WG needs to determine what to do with socket option section
        (establish clear consensus on this) then WGLC

Increasing the Initial Window
draft-hkchu-tcpm-initcwnd-01
Status: chairs proposed to adopt on 7/23; one comment received that
        we need to determine intended status prior to adopting
        presented at Anaheim in TCPM & ICCRG, and ICCRG in Maastricht
          with significant interest
        adopted as a WG item, with 2 milestones: first determine intended
          status after next 2 IETF meetings, then update and WGLC document
Action: determine intended status through continued WG discussion
        plan to present/discuss further data in Beijing (and on-list)
        submit draft-ietf-tcpm version
        chairs to add milestones to charter

Documents Under a Poll to Become WG Items
=========================================

Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-paxson-tcpm-rfc2988bis-00.txt
Status: presented briefly at IETF 77, also well-discussed on mailing list
          earlier and at IETF 75
        confirmation poll for adoption started on 9/17 to close 10/1
Action: confirm adoption
        determine whether minRTO reduction belongs here

Other Proposals Not Yet Decided On
==================================

draft-anumita-tcpm-stronger-checksum-00
Status: discussed on-list, mingled with historicize draft discussion

draft-duan-tcpm-tcp-ao-rekeying-00
Status: discussed in Anaheim and on-list; motivations and usefulness was
        questioned

draft-huang-tcpm-tcp-eack-00
Status: discussed on-list; there seems to be agreement that ACK congestion
        control (RFC 5690) will mitigate the issue

NewReno Modification
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nishida-newreno-modification-02.txt
Action: need WG to read/discuss
        presentation given, document updated
        authors are discussing an update to NewReno to include the existing
          errata and this change together

AO NAT
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-touch-tcp-ao-nat-00.txt
Status: IETF 77 discussion determined this should be Experimental, whether or
          not it is a WG document; need to ask TCPM list
Action: need to poll mailing list about path forward

Older & Expired Documents Discussed
===================================

discussions on Rate-Halving
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt
Action: mailing list discussion about the history of this, and whether
        it needs to be revived

Faster Application Handshakes with SYN/ACK Payloads
expired draft-agl-tcpm-sadata-01
Status: expired; not specifically polled for adoption in WG

draft-ycheng-tcpm-rtosynrtt-00
Status: has been suggested as either an addition to 2988bis or to initcwnd
        documents
Action: discussion with authors indicates that this is superceded by the
          other changes in the 2988bis document

Documents Not Adopted by WG
===========================

TCP Option for Transparent Middlebox Discovery
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-knutsen-tcpm-middlebox-discovery-04.txt
Status: discussed on mailing list and updated in response
        poll for working group adoption opened on 12/9, responses
          desired by 12/23
        decision not to adopt by WG; IESG may allow publication and
          option number assignment at their discretion, but TCPM does
          not have consensus to do this work
        background presented at IETF 77

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sridharan-tcpm-ctcp-02
Status: polled for interest on 6/16/10
        one positive response; no negative - too weak for adoption

Other TCP Documents
===================

TCP Cookie Transactions (TCPCT)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-simpson-tcpct-02.txt
Status: submitted for Experimental RFC through Independent Stream
        in AUTH48

Other WG Activities
===================

Errata Review for legacy TCP RFCs:

RFC0793 (1496)  3.9  	Technical  	Legacy  Yin Shuming  		2008-08-27
RFC0793 (1561) 	3.2 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1562) 	3.3 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1563) 	3.4 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1564) 	3.7 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1565) 	3.8 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1566) 	3.9 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1567) 	3.9 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1568) 	3.9 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1569) 	2.4 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1570) 	2.7 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1571) 	3.1 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11
RFC0793 (1572) 	3.4 	Technical 	Legacy 	Constantin Hagemeier 	2008-10-11

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems