Subject: [tcpm] Readiness of "draft-ietf-tcpm-persist-00.txt" for last call.

From: "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 19:43:32 -0700

Hi,
   
  Following is the summary (from the authors perspective) as to where we
stand w.r.t this draft. We believe, this short and harmless draft is
ready for the last call.
    
 During the last review of the persist draft, some folks were not happy
about the API section (section 7) of the document.  The authors
discussed this concern among themselves and also have received some
other reviews (both internal and external) and are kind of confused as
to why the presence of an API guideline (for illustration purpose
mainly) should be of any concern. Following reasons as to why we think
why some illustration (like API) would be nicer to have :-

- This is an informational draft. The purpose of the API section is to
illustrate what how an application can do something about connections
which are stuck in persist state. The objective is NOT to recommend any
sockets API syntax or format (again we are not standardizing anything),
it is purely there to illustrate the essence of the draft.

- There was some talk about SO_LINGER API etc.,. I think we have
clarified earlier that SO_LINGER comes into play only when the
application tries to close the socket. SO_LINGER with 0 value is like
causing an abort of the TCP connection. Here we acknowledge that there
is a way (possibly more ways) that exists which can be used to abort the
TCP connection. This is orthogonal to the current API discussion which
we are having which simply illustrates how an application can abort the
TCP connection without violating any RFC (793 or 1122)

In a nutshell, we don't see any reason why mentioning an API example is
violation of the RFC. We believe adding an API example would not deter
that simplicity in any way, but that is just our take.

Maybe there is some scope to rewrite that section if folks think
otherwise.

We would like to move forward on getting closure on this aspect as this
seems to be the last hurdle in getting this draft to the last call
process. 

Sorry about the delay in getting back.

Thanks,
-Anantha