Subject: [tcpm] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-tcpm-converters-18: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 16:20:02 -0700

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tcpm-converters-18: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-converters/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for adding the applicability statement; it removes the main sense
of having disparate deployment scenarios one of which is well-defined and the
other of which requires some under-specified actions in order to be secure.

I'm still pretty uneasy about giving such emphasis to the "0-RTT" nature
of this service, and feel that achieving the "0-RTT" nature relies on some
strong assumptions on the nature of the network in which the protocol is
being deployed, so that the 0-RTT nature is not as much an attribute of
the protocol itself as the combination of the protocol and the deployment
scenario.  That said, the document is not describing an internally inconsistent
state, so I cannot justify making this a Discuss-level point any more.