Subject: [tcpm] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs-00.txt]

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 09:58:05 +0100

Dear all,

First of all, we would like to thank everyone who gave feedback and very
interesting ideas regarding the 'TCP ACK Pull' proposal.

We agree with Bob Briscoe (and others) that, before designing solutions,
we should first work on clarifying the scope of the problem, and determine
which may be the requirements for potential solutions.

Along the above lines, we submitted a new I-D (please find pointers to it
below). The main purpose of the document is to present the problem
statement, and derive requirements for potential solutions.

Additionally, some potential solutions that have been suggested in this
space are also discussed in the I-D. This part of the document might be
removed at some point, and of course we need to first focus on
requirements. However, it seemed to us that this part of the document
might provide additional value by illustrating the trade-offs in the
solution space, as per our current understanding of the problem.

Feedback is more than welcome!

Also, if anyone would like to contribute and join the effort, please do
not hesitate to let us know.

Cheers,

Carles

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs-00.txt
From:    [email-masked]
Date:    Sat, March 7, 2020 2:02 pm
To:      "Jon Crowcroft" <[email-masked]>
         "Carles Gomez" <[email-masked]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of I-D, draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Carles Gomez and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs
Revision:	00
Title:		Delayed Acknowledgments Suppression: Problem Statement,
Requirements and Analysis of Potential Solutions
Document date:	2020-03-07
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		11
URL:           
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs-00.txt
Status:        
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs/
Htmlized:      
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs-00
Htmlized:      
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gomez-tcpm-delack-suppr-reqs

Abstract:
   Delayed Acknowledgments (ACKs) allow reducing protocol overhead in
   many scenarios.  However, in some cases, Delayed ACKs may
   significantly degrade network and device performance in terms of link
   utilization, latency, memory usage and/or energy consumption.  This
   document presents the problem statement regarding Delayed ACKs
   suppression.  The document discusses the scenarios and use cases in
   which Delayed ACKs suppression offers advantages.  Then, requirements
   for a potential solution are derived.  Finally, a number of potential
   solutions are discussed, based on the requirements, and also
   considering pros and cons in each case.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat