Subject: [tcpm] Test vectors for RFC5925 algorithms?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 13:44:04 +0300

Hello,

I have been searching for test vectors for RFC5925/5926 algorithms for
TCP AO and to my surprise it seems that such do not exist. Am I
correct here?

Even though test vectors for HMAC SHA1 (RFC2202) and AES CMAC
(RFC4493) are available, it would be useful to have example test
vectors for frames using TCP AO - otherwise implementations end up
easily not to match. As RFC5925 is 47 pages, there is a room for error
and only one mismatch is needed for MACs not to match.

I think publishing a new RFC for them would be good, but probably
takes some time. Even unofficial, but verified, test vectors on some
specified example frames (with and without TCP options), e.g. on this
mailing list or otherwise, would be a very good start to get TCP AO
more widely implemented. If such already are available somewhere,
please do let me know.

Thanks,
--
 Juhamatti

---

From: Joseph Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:48:44 -0700

Hi, Juhamatti,

At best, those might be an addendum to RFC 5926. RFC 5925 deliberately does not specify any algorithms.

However, TCP MD5 was widely deployed without any such test vectors in the RFC series (or elsewhere I could find, FWIW).

Joe

> On Mar 31, 2020, at 3:44 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm