Subject: [tcpm] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-02.txt]

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:22:28 +0100

Dear TCPM WG,

As it can be seen below, we recently updated the TCP ACK Rate Request
(TARR) option draft.

Main changes:

- There are now two formats: a shorter one to announce support of the TARR
option, and a larger one which conveys the value of R, among others.
The two formats can be distinguished by the "Length" field value (while
keeping the same "Kind" value).

- In the second format, the Ignore Order field is now reduced to just 1
bit, and "R" is reduced to 7 bits. Therefore, the total format size
decreases from 7 bytes to 6 bytes.

- We added content in the security considerations section.

Also, after submission of the draft, we contacted IANA to request
allocation of ExID 0x00AC (aiming to somehow allude to "ACK") for the
option, as it is an RFC 6994-style experimental TCP option. The ExID value
has already been allocated:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/tcp-parameters/tcp-parameters.xhtml#tcp-exids

Comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Carles (on behalf of the authors)

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-02.txt
From:    [email-masked]
Date:    Fri, February 19, 2021 3:30 pm
To:      "Carles Gomez" <[email-masked]>
         "Jon Crowcroft" <[email-masked]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of I-D, draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Carles Gomez and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request
Revision:	02
Title:		TCP ACK Rate Request Option
Document date:	2021-02-19
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		8
URL:           
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-02.txt
Status:        
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request/
Htmlized:      
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request
Htmlized:      
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-02
Diff:          
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-02

Abstract:
   TCP Delayed Acknowledgments (ACKs) is a widely deployed mechanism
   that allows reducing protocol overhead in many scenarios.  However,
   Delayed ACKs may also contribute to suboptimal performance.  When a
   relatively large congestion window (cwnd) can be used, less frequent
   ACKs may be desirable.  On the other hand, in relatively small cwnd
   scenarios, eliciting an immediate ACK may avoid unnecessary delays
   that may be incurred by the Delayed ACKs mechanism.  This document
   specifies the TCP ACK Rate Request (TARR) option.  This option allows
   a sender to indicate the ACK rate to be used by a receiver, and it
   also allows to request immediate ACKs from a receiver.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat