Subject: [tcpm] Protocol Action: 'Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) Specification' to Internet Standard (draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-28.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 15:02:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) Specification'
  (draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-28.txt) as Internet Standard

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Zaheduzzaman Sarker and Martin Duke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis/

Technical Summary

   This is an update to RFC793, the core specification for TCP,
   which is 40 years old. It also replaces some RFCs that update
   793, including the TCP-related bits of RFC 1122.

Working Group Summary

   This has taken 6 years. The objective was to not actually
   change how TCP works, for obvious reasons. Nevertheless, 
   there are many deviations between the specification and
   practice in the real world. The consensus was to document
   these issues rather than attempt to correct them here.

   For more, please see the (exceptional) Shepherd Writeup.

Document Quality

   You almost certainly, have at least one, if not several, TCP
   implementations on your body right now, and are right now
   reading text that was delivered via TCP.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Michael Scharf <[email-masked]>.

The responsible Area Director is Martin Duke <[email-masked]>.