Subject: [Fwd: TCP/IP source models]

From: Carlo Matarasso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:13:16 +0200

Subject: Re: TCP/IP source models
From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
To: Carlo Matarasso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 00:34:10 PDT

> I' m looking for mathematical models for TCP/IP sources, for every
> possible service (e.g. WWW, e-mail  ....).

See "Empirically-Derived Analytic Models of Wide-area TCP Connections"
off of our Web site:

	http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/

and the references contained therein; and try surfing Boston University
for Web models, as well as an INFOCOM(?) '97 paper by Bruce Mah on
modeling HTTP.

> The thing, that would more help me, were generated (and received)
> traffic patterns of a single TCP/IP source.

The state of the art in modeling these patterns is to run a TCP/IP
simulator and feed it source models such as those mentioned above.

		Vren