Subject: Protocol Action: Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels using Standard Mechanisms to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:04:09 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Enhancing TCP Over Satellite
Channels using Standard Mechanisms'
<draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-06.txt> as a BCP.  This document is the
product of the TCP Over Satellite Working Group.  The IESG contact
persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 While TCP can reliably deliver data across any network path, including
 those containing satellite links, there are a number of IETF-standardized
 TCP/IP mechanisms that can enable TCP to utilize the available capacity of
 the path more effectively: PMTU discovery, forward error correction,
 correct congestion control including fast retransmit/recovery, large
 windows, and selective acknowledgments.  This document discusses the
 effects of these different mechanisms and the circumstances in which they
 aid performance.

Working Group Summary

 This document has broad working group support.

Protocol Quality

 Vern Paxson reviewed the document for the IESG.  It is sound and thorough.