Subject: HTTP performance issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:23:32 +0100

Hi ,

We are now in the process of rolling-out web based applications to a number of
remote VSAT connected sites. With the tests we did, I have to conclude that the
performance of HTTP is rather poor. Now one factor that might have an impact is
that we use Transaction reservation on the VSAT inroutes. (TR give round trip
times of about 1500msec). We don't have any choice, we cannot use Stream for all
remote sites. Is there a way to improve the performance, we know for example the
product Venturi (from Fourelle) but that product turns the HTTP protocol into
something proprietary protocol. What I'm trying to find out is : are there
tunings possible to the existing standard HTTP protocol ?

Many Thanks,
Guy Raymakers

---

From: Renaud Bruyeron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:56:17 -0500

> tunings possible to the existing standard HTTP protocol ?

I assume you are using HTTP 1.1, right ?

For some information on the HTTP protocol:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

best regards,

 - Renaud