Subject: tcp enhancement

From: Dean Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:30:05 -0400 (EDT)

I think it should be interesting to investigate efforts on a protocol
that is enable to cope with TCP limitations. up to now this type of
protocol has been proprietary. TCP enhancements brings new features to
TCP, but still now the implementations will be dependent on the
Operating system Vendor. Whereas a normalized protocol x that converts
the TCP into another x packet will be quite interesting in future
applications . the question remain open?
_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: "Falk, Aaron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:57:32 -0400

Dean-

Well, it depends by what you mean 'TCP limitations.' If by that you mean
something like stop-and-wait behavior when more than one packet is lost in a
window, that is fixed in modern TCP implementations. If you mean TCP's slow
start behavior at the beginning of a connection and after a timeout, that is
actually a feature rather than a limitation in that it keeps the Internet
stable during periods of congestion. If you mean TCP's reduction of cwnd
following a detected packet loss, this is also considered a feature that
provides network stability. 

Having said this, there are cases where TCP performance over certain types
of links leaves something to be desired. The IETF PILC working group is
chartered to make recommendations and consider well understood and less well
understood mechanisms for improving performance over lossy, asymmetric, and
low rate channels (long delay having been pretty thoroughly examined in
tcpsat). If promising mechanisms are identified that require protocol
modification or development, the door is open to re-charter PILC to do that
work. 

I encourage you to read the PILC drafts and mail archives and participate in
the work if you see something that needs doing.

--aaron

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dean Martin [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, July 22, 1999 1:30 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: tcp enhancement
> 
> 
>