Subject: Looking for a Satellite Link Emulator

From: Cheryl DeMatteis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:56:08 -0700

I need to use a Satellite Link Emulator that can sustaine OC3 data
rates for a development lab.  If anyone has any experience with such a
product could you share your experiences with me.

Thanks,
Cheryl

-- 
Cheryl K. DeMatteis                      The Aerospace Corporation, M1/102
[email-masked]                         Computer Science and Technology
(310)336-1189                            2350 E. El Segundo Blvd. 
(310)336-4402 (fax)                      El Segundo, CA 90245-4691

---

From: Luc Ottavj <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:42:35 +0200

> product could you share your experiences with me.
i think you can have a look at luigi Rizzo's dummynet .
with this nice tool you can configure virtual channels with dedicated
bandwith and delays and use ipfirewall filtering to determine
what kind of traffic goes across these channels

here at inria we have also a (not public ) implementation of UDLR 
over ethernet

with these two pieces you can emulate on a  100 or 1Giga* ethernet 
a satellite link with one or many senders and more many receivers. 

* i'm not sure that now , they are 1giga ethernet cards supported
on freebsd or linux but with 100BT you are ine the same order
that the OC3  rates

-- 
Luc OTTAVJ (INRIA Sophia Antipolis)
2004, Route des Lucioles BP 93  06902 CEDEX France
[email-masked] Office: (33)4 92 38 77 21 Fax:(33) 4 92 38 76 02
                           Mobile:    06 85 13 19 25

---

From: Bruce Kwan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 03:59:24 -0700

Hi Cheryl-

I have used the slower Adtech Channel Simulator (SX-12)
to analyze the effects of mobile satellite links on the
performance of TCP/IP a few years ago. Using fading files collected from
propagation data available from ACTS and TDRS satellites,
we drove the simulator to simulate the channel as we did
data transfers using netperf. 

The Adtech box worked quite well.

Bruce

-- 
Bruce H. Kwan				Office: (818) 354-9250
Jet Propulsion Laboratory		FAX:    (818) 393-4643
4800 Oak Grove Dr. MS 161-260		Email: [email-masked]
Pasadena, CA 91109