Subject: using ATS-3 for IP to mid pacific

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mercer)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:07:34 -0400 (EDT)

i have been asked to come up with a method of linking a marine biology lab
in the french frigate shoals to the mainland.

the intent is to mount a camera on a beach, and allow remote (mainland) access
to the server and camera for grabbing images, and maybe even a little
low-frame-rate "video".

the target island is some 5 miles away from the research station.

we are looking to use a solar battery bank to run the server and camera
(http://www.brains.co.jp/eng-ver/e-mmeye/mmeye-2.html) on the island.

then a wireless link back to the research station (a different island).

the research station currently has an ATS-3 link, although i'm not exactly sure
what that entails.

does anyone know if the ATS-3 link could be used for a dedicated 56/64/128K
link to the research station?

if not, can anyone make some recommendations as to alternate solutions?

thanx.

-- 
[ Jim Mercer    Reptilian Research      [email-masked]   +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ The telephone, for those of you who  have forgotten, was a commonly used ]
[ communications technology in the days before electronic mail.            ]
[ They're still easy to find in most large cities. -- Nathaniel Borenstein ]