Subject: [email-masked]: Help in Satellite comunications

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 13:53:52 -0500

The following was sent to an old version of the tcpsat mailing list
that doesn't exist.

allman

------- Forwarded Message

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 19:10:14 -0400
Subject: Help in Satellite comunications

     At the moment we are working in a project that requires the use of
satellite
communication.
Looking for information in the Internet I arrived to your web page. We need
to clarify some topics and maybe you can help us or give us  references
where to find answers.
The scene it is more or less this:

Four locations of work exist, each one of them consists of a network
Ethernet with platform NT,
gateway, the connection between this locations are by means of satellite
communication using
TDMA with Dynamic Location of  Time, a bandwidth of 512 Kbps and using
Metaframe of citrix with
the TCP/IP protocol.

The main problem to face is the possibility that this bandwidth is not well
used: some of the technicians of the project argue that with metaframe  the
transmission is limited to 128 kbps and the 512 Kbps available will not be
used, due to the TDMA with Dynamic Location of  Time. For this reason my
concern  is to find a similar systems in operation that uses this
technology.

The system looks like this:

Two Ethernet networks with platform NT, communicated by means of satellite
using technology
TDMA (Dynamic Location of Time) with a bandwidth of 512kb. On one side we
have applications servers and in the other side we have around about 20
concurrent clients of relatively heavy applications using protocol TCP/IP.

My questions are:

1) It is true that with this technology  (TDMA with DLT) the maximum
bandwidth that I will be able to use
is 128 Kbps even if I have a channel of 512 kbps ?

2)  If  the previous is true, how would be the way to increase the
bandwidth
an at what cost of the communication channel? What would be maximum real
bandwidth of this 512 Kbps channel ?

3) Could someone give me references of similar projects that have been made
? Any reference on the use of the metaframe with satellite communication
(TDMA with DLT) ?

I will appreciate any help ...

Thanks in advance.

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Dan Shell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 14:58:41 -0500

Just what is a metaframe?

And using TDMA should not cause a performance problem.
As Mark can tell you that the link utlilization in TCP/IP depends on the
quality of TCP/IP protocol stack and
if it has enable large windows (very important) adjustable buffers etc.)

>------- End of Forwarded Message

Dan Shell
CISCO Systems Engineer Federal
Advanced Technologies
Wireless and Satellite
216 643 2422