Subject: Shameless Inquiry

From: Chris Schram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:53:41 -0800

Dear Listmembers -

As a periodic contributor to this list and early evangelist for IP over 
satellite (beginning in my prior life with PanAmSat), and having survived 
the 'original' January Cleveland meeting several years ago (much relating 
to a certain sceptical LA Times article), I am imploring you to please 
indulge the following off-topic request with a minimum of flaming.

Last May I joined New Skies Satellites in Den Haag, Netherlands.  It is/was 
a spin-off from Intelsat, and we currently operate 5 C- and Ku-band 
geosynchronous satellites. One new satellite is on order (with Lockheed) 
and two more are in planning.

We have the usual mix of customer IP traffic -- some asymmetric SCPC 
between the US and elsewhere, a few DS-3 links, and some innovative 
customer services invluding VOIP.

We have just bought our first US Teleport (in the Dulles corridor), and 
expect to have a site on the West Coast shortly.  We are also working with 
several non-US teleports to also provide facilities.   Our second 
initiative is the procurement of multiple DVB/IP 'media platforms'.  A lot 
of our efforts are to make it easier for remote ISPs and networks to get 
linked via satellite, and to find better ways to aggreggate traffic through 
the teleports.  We are pursuing open, non-spoofed, systems and 
architectures and we are having a lot of fun.

Now the shamelessness (besides the brief infomercial above).  We have two 
people (including myself when not working on the satellites) who are trying 
to pull all of this together.   We really, really need to find someone who 
understands the hardware and protocol aspects of satellite IP links, who 
likes a start-up atmosphere (yeah, there is decent pizza delivery here) and 
wants to help build out our IP business.  The position is here in Holland, 
with travel back to the US on a regular basis.  Someone with an engineering 
degree and 5-7 years experience is desired but can be more or less.

OK, consider this my one get-out-of-jail-free pass.  I'll try to reserve 
further contributions to the topics at hand.

Regards,

Chris Schram
VP Satellite Plans & Procurement
[email-masked]
Tel: +31 70 306 4100
Fax: +31 70 306 4285