Subject: Ka Band Transponders (fwd)

From: Frederick Myron Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 19:37:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi-

I am a student at Georgia Tech, doing some research on ka band
transponders.  Do you know of any companies where I can get information on
Ka band transponders.  Is the bandwidth at Ka band fixed at 1000 MHz no
matter what manufacturer you choose or does the bandwidth of the
transponder depend on the transponder you choose.  

The reason I need a lot of bandwidth is because I would like to deliver 20
ultra high definition movies(each movie at a rate of 250 Mbps= 5 Gbps) to
movie theatres across the world. 

I am planning on using three geostationary satellites to cover three
zones.  

Frederick Myron Brown
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:08:08 -0500

Fred,

The bandwidth of the Ka-Band transponders is not equal to any fixed value.
It really depends on the system you have, and different systems have
different BW's per transponder (or beam), at least conceptually at this
point, as there is no full Ka-Band system at this point except the retiring
NASA ACT system.
My suggestion to you is to look at the problem parameterically, and see what
will be the QoS #'s to get with using a range of BW's.  Now, which platform
you use to deliver this becomes secondary. But your idea of using GEO's for
this is good, as to use the broadcast nature of the satellites.

------------
Osama Qadan - INTELSAT BSP

"You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much bandwidth."
(Anonymous)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Frederick Myron Brown [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, December 04, 1999 7:37 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Ka Band Transponders (fwd)
> 
> 
> Hi-
>