Subject: sat-ll

From: "ketan bajaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:08:02 PDT

Hi Everyone,
Attached is a paper which was accepted for publication in Globecomm'99, but 
couldn't be published due to some unavoidable conditions.
I do not intend to publish it, and it is available for use via this mailing 
list.

In brief, it presents a protocol which improves TCP performance over 
satellite links by suppressing all the duplicate acknowledgements which 
arise due to losses over the satellite link. As these duplicate 
acknowledgments do not reach the sender TCP, the satellite channel losses 
become transparent to the sender TCP.

This paper presents a design which works when the satellite link could be 
any intermediate hop in the network. It remains completely transparent to 
the end hosts and the rest of the network, as only the satellite channel's 
end points require the implementation of the design. It preserves all TCP 
semantics.

The email address shown in the paper no longer exists. If you have some 
questions regarding the design, you can ask me over the mailing list or at 
[email-masked].
Regards,
Ketan
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 07:40:40 -0400

>I do not intend to publish it, and it is available for use via this mailing 

If you don't have enough confidence in your work to take the time to get
it published, why should we take the time to read it?

I say this partly tongue-in-cheek, but also with some seriousness.  Getting
papers published requires hard work, and often includes fixing errors in
one's ideas.  An unwillingness to see a paper through the publication
process speaks poorly of the ideas.

Craig