Subject: 45/8Mbps Satellite Over DS3 Leased Line & 155/45Mbps Over STM-1

From: "Mike Holdsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:28:38 +0100

Hi All,

Just been working on some more applications for Asymmetric Internet.  These
can now be found at.
www.metrodata.co.uk/satellite in html format so they are quicker to
download. There's loads of different apps there and I'd if anyones got time
take a look around. I'll be adding to it all the time.

I've found recently Service Providers selling Internet Over Satellite
services before they now how to deliver it. Or whether it can be delivered
at all. It seems like there are some strange speeds being delivered:
60/12Mbps and 70/12Mbps would be examples.

These are really hard to transport across leased line infrastructure.

Satellite Modems are generally BNC or HSSI interfaced at the higher rates.
This is fine when you are looking at Asymmetric services below DS-3 (BNC) or
52Mbps (HSSI), but when you want to offer 60/12Mbps it presents a bit of a
problem. The reason for this is that the signalling and line structure of
terrestrial links is clearly set out for E1, E2, E3, DS3, E4 and STM-1.

The interface on our terrestrial equipment conforms to these speeds, however
the BNC interface on the Satellite Modem operates at flexible speeds
usually. What I am doing is developing a module portfolio that can transport
any Satellite Ratio up to 155/155Mbps.

To do this I need to know the line driving capabilities of Satellite Modem
G.703 interfaces and whether they operate at fixed rates. Once I know these
rates I can deisgn correct timing on our modules to match the satellite
speeds.

If there are any Satellite Modem manufacturers who can tell me what speeds
their BNC interfaces work at I would be very happy.

Below are some logical satellite speeds that we can transport. Non standard
speeds tend to be  12/60/72Mbps.

64Kbps
128Kbps
256Kbps
384Kbps
512Kbps
768Kbps
1.024Mbps
1.544Mbps (T1)
2.048Mbps (E1)
3.088Mbps (2T1)
4.096Mbps (2E1)
4.632Mbps (3T1)
6.144Mbps (3E1)
6.312Mbps (T2)
8.448Mbps (E2)
10.271Mbps (Common Data Link - CDL)
34.368Mbps (E3)
44.736Mbps (T3)
139.264 Mbps (E4)
155.52 Mbps (STM-1/OC-3)

Thanks a lot. If anyone knows of any good links regarding Internet Over
Satellite please email them so I can add them to my page. Or if you've got
White Papers that I can upload just send them over.

Cheers

Mike
~~~~
Mike Holdsworth - Applications Engineer, Metrodata Ltd.
Mailto: [email-masked]
Tel: +44 (0)1784 744 815  Mob: +44 (0)7887 983 374
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
++Satellite & Terrestrial Network Integration Products++
==From BNC Sat Modem - HSSI Router Conversion==
====To Broadband Asymmetric Internet Extension====
----------------------------------------------
Email to [email-masked] for a copy of our NEW!!
34/8Mbps Asymmetric Internet Over Satellite Apps Note
Or visit the website at http://www.metrodata.co.uk/satellite for
our full range of satellite connectivity solutions