Subject: satellite delay simulator

From: "Daniel Delaruelle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 17:21:41 +0100

Dear all,

My company NEWTEC is looking for a true delay simulator
( at IF 70MHz or 140MHz or L-band ) that can generate signal
delays of several hundred milliseconds comparable to 1 or 2
satellite hops.

Alternatively we are looking for a delay simulator capable
of generating the same delays on a DVB-ASI type of signal.

Does anyone know if such equipment is commercially available ?

Daniel Delaruelle
NEWTEC NV
Laarstraat 5, B-9100 Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
tel ++32 3 780 65 00 (switch-board)
tel ++32 3 780 65 52 (direct)
fax ++32 3 780 65 00 
e-mail  [email-masked]

---

From: Jon Mansey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:15:16 -0700

Adding the delay at the IP layer instead of RF is easy using for 
example dummynet on a FreeBSD bridge.

jm

-- 

[email-masked]                          Chief Science Officer
------------------------------------------------------------------
           "The Global Leader in Internet Via Satellite"
InterPacket Networks, Inc.              http://www.interpacket.net
1901 Main St.                                   tel (310) 382 3300
Santa Monica, California 90405                  fax (310) 382 3310
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Mike Holdsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:22:52 +0100

Hi Daniel,

We might be able to help on the ASI Signal. We are developing an ASI Module
for our AP3000. This is a 3 Port ATM Switch.

One of the applications we have had is for helping with Doppler Shift by
Cell Buffering across the ATM Backplane of the switch.

We would do this by taking a HSSI output from the Satellite Modem, into a
DTE HSSI Module. Then the data would be converted to ATM cells across the
backplane and reconverted and ouput through another Gapped Clock HSSI
Module. This would then connect to a HSSI Interace on a Router.

Potentially once the ASI Module is out of development we could offer you a
similar scenario.

My Questions would be:

1. Do you require a fixed delay
2. What will be the likely traffic speed
3. What is your timescale

I hope we can help.

Regards

Mike

[email-masked]
Application Engineer
Satellite, Microwave, DSL, Leased Line Solutions
www.metrodata.co.uk
Tel:   +44 (0) 1784 744815
Fax:  +44 (0) 1784 744730
Mobile: +44 (0)7887 983 374
----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Delaruelle" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 05:21
Subject: satellite delay simulator

Dear all,

Daniel Delaruelle
NEWTEC NV

---

From: "John C. Westmoreland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:33:27 -0700

As far as the simulator you can take a look at the 
ns-2 simulator:  http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/

Good Luck,
John W.