Subject: Michael Hadjitheodosiou: CFP: Communications for Space Missions

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:35:16 -0500

I was asked to forward this announcement to folks on tcpsat and
pilc, as there very well could be interested folks on these lists.  

allman

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:51:09 -0400
To: [email-masked]
From: Michael Hadjitheodosiou <[email-masked]>
Subject: CFP: Communications for Space Missions

Call For Papers:
Special Issue of the International Journal of Satellite Communications:
Communications for Space Missions
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The start of the deployment of the International Space Station and an 
increasing number of planetary and other scientific missions  have 
ushered in a new era in space exploration.  At the same time, 
advances in communication technologies will  allow investigators on 
Earth to enjoy a virtual presence in space.  This generates a need to 
provide researchers with high quality communication support that will 
enable cost effective global access to experimental data from future 
space missions. 

Space agencies, like NASA, as well as Industry are also interested to 
gradually facilitate broadband Internet services throughout future 
space missions, eventually leading to a scenario where every 
spacecraft and instrument can be an addressable node and have a 
direct connection to the Internet.  At the same time, there is a 
drive for space agencies to start utilizing capacity from commercial 
providers and adopt Commercial Of The Shelf technology. There is 
clearly a gradual transition to an operational scenario that will 
enable investigators to access their data "anytime, anywhere" through 
the Internet.

For these reasons, the International Journal of Satellite 
Communications is launching a special issue on "Communications for 
Space Missions". This special issue  will publish papers describing 
recent experiences and innovative new ideas on these issues. 
Specific topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- -Communication Architectures for supporting future near-Earth or 
Planetary missions.
- - Network Issues related to extending IP services to next generation 
spacecraft.
- - New Coding and Modulation techniques for  Deep Space Missions.
- - Related Antenna Technology developments (e.g. Ka-band, Phased Arrays).
- - Protocol support for space missions
[Custom protocols (SAFE, SCPS) Vs standard internet protocols (TCP/IP, FTP)].
- - Networking issues for constellations of :
	-formation flying Nano-satellites,;
  	-networked sensors in space;
	-the "distributed spacecraft" concept.
- - Supporting mission requirements using commercial satcomm providers.

DEADLINES

Intention to Submit with Abstract (up to 500 words):	December 31st, 2000
(Include Full Paper, if available)

Full Paper Due:						February 28, 2001
Review Process/ Final Paper Due:			June 30, 2001
Expected Publication Date:				Summer 2001

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Interested authors should submit a Title / Abstract to :

Dr. Michael Hadjitheodosiou
Center for Satellite & Hybrid Communication Networks
ISR, A.V. Williams Building
University of Maryland, College Park
MD 20742, USA

Tel:+301-405-7904  Fax:+301-314-8586
e-mail: [email-masked]

Preferred Method of Submission:
- -------------------------------
By e-mail to: [email-masked] 

Abstract: TXT Format
Full Paper: PDF (preferred), Postscript or MS Word electronic attachment.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The International Journal of Satellite Communications provides a 
focus for professionals in all aspects of satellite communications.
The Journal covers all aspects of the theory and practice of 
satellite systems and networks. Information about the Journal:

http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0737-2884/info.html

------- End of Forwarded Message