Subject: Special Session in SPECTS'2001

From: K Djemame <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:05:20 +0000 (GMT)

*** We apologise in advance if you receive multiple copies ***

                           Special Session

         on Modeling and Simulation-Based Multiprocessor Scheduling

                  http://agent.csd.auth.gr/~karatza/msms01 

             2001 International Symposium on Performance Evaluation
             of Computer and Telecommunication Systems
                             SPECTS 2001
            http://www.scs.org/confernc/spects01/spects01cfp.html

                             July 15-19, 2001
                           Orlando, Florida, USA

                           Call for Papers
                           ---------------

Multiprocessor systems provide considerable computational power that can
be used to solve problems with large memory and computational requirements.
However, jobs are not always executed efficiently. Good scheduling policies 
can improve system performance, preserve individual application
performance, and avoid unbounded delays.

The availability of multiprocessor systems and wide diversity of 
hardware and software resources used in them makes the arbitration of
requirements and management of resources difficult. Schedulers must
determine where and when applications are to execute, i.e., on which
processors and in what order.

The most practical way to evaluate scheduling algorithms without
constructing a full scale implementation is by using modeling and simulation.
Simulation models can help determine performance bottlenecks inherent to the
architecture and provide a basis for refining system configurations.

Scope
-----

This SPECTS 2001 Special Session is a forum to present the latest results of
international researchers. The focus of this technical session is on
Modeling and Simulation Methodologies applied to the Scheduling of 
Multiprocesssors.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

.       Scheduling of multiprogrammed parallel systems
.       Coshecduling of applications on multiple processors
.       Load-balancing and load-sharing
.       Scheduling of shared-memory/distributed shared-memory systems.
.       Scheduling of parallel applications within distributed systems 
        (e.g. clusters)
.       Scheduling Methods for Networks of Workstations
.       Scheduling of heterogeneous processors

Paper Submission
----------------

It is strongly recommended that papers be submitted by email to the session 
organizer Helen Karatza ([email-masked]) in postscript or PDF format.
Do not submit papers that have been previously published or presented.
All papers will be refereed for accuracy, technical content and relevance
to multiprocessor scheduling.

Submissions should not exceed 25 double-spaced, 8.5x11 inch pages 
(including figures, tables, and references) in 10-12 point font. Include
five to ten keywords, complete postal and e-mail return addresses, as well
as the fax and phone numbers of each author.

Deadlines
---------

Submission of Papers - February 28, 2001
Notification of Acceptance - April 22, 2000
Final Camera-Ready Submission - May 22, 2000

         Session Organizer
         -----------------

         Helen D. Karatza
         Department of Informatics
         Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
         54006 Thessaloniki
         Greece
         E-mail:     [email-masked]
         Fax:        30-31-996360
         Phone:      30-31-997974

For additional information, please contact Dr. Helen Karatza 
([email-masked]) at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki,
Thessaloniki, Greece.