Subject: HSSI/ASI Converter - Data Rates

From: "Mike Holdsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:22:53 -0800

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if you get this twice (I know I will!!)

Well, its now 2001 and I thought I'd send an email to the list to say hope
everyone is well, not too busy and hopefully see some of you at the
Satellite 2001 exhibition in Washington this March.

And also to ask a favour. We've been developing some new products and one of
these I need a bit of help on finishing off.

Its designed for satellite networks that:
a) Have a mainly Video based network/client base and wish to move into
delivering IP Services or;
b) Those of you who are using mainly ASI Modems, and only using HSSI because
that is the Router interface available)

Its a simple enough device that converts ASI (unframed) into HSSI, so you
can use ASI modems/infrastructure and a HSSI Router. It could potentially be
used as a HSSI Line Driver between an ASI modem and a HSSI Router (up to 200
metres away).

In order to keep the cost down I have opted for a simple look-up table for
clock rates. This is where I need some help. The look-up table can take up
to 200 different clock rates and I have already got the following speeds.
Can anyone give me any others that I have missed, or that you'd like
supported? Please note it supports Asymmetric rates already:

Clock rates:

1.544
2.048
3.152
4.00
6.00
6.312
8.448
10.00
16.00
24.00
34.368
44.736
51.84*

*Apparently ASI won't support exactly 51.84Mbps due to the structure of ASI,
and this may be true of some of the other speeds. I've put that in as its
the maximum of Cisco's HSSI Spec.

Does anyone know what speeds ASI supports?

Cheers

Mike Holdsworth
Satellite Product Manager
Metrodata Ltd - Satellite Group - www.metrodata.co.uk/satellite -
=================================================
New Products Include HSSI/ASI Converter, Link Accelerator,
90Mbits HSSI Module, HSSI Line Drivers and more......................
=================================================
||    Tel: +44 (0)1784 744 700     ||     Fax: +44(0)1784 477 423   ||
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
[Satellite 2001, Washington DC Contact No +44-7887-983-374]