Subject: RE: Satellite Bandwidth Questions

From: "MD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:31:28 -0600

Hello - 

I am interested in learning more about low-elliptical satellites in relationship to data transmission over the internet. 
Can you direct me to an informative website or certain reference whitepapers with practical description of LEO's and their use by Internet Carriers?

Thank you,

Michael Dwinnell

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:51:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, MD wrote:

> I am interested in learning more about low-elliptical satellites in
> relationship to data transmission over the internet.

(LEO = low-earth-orbit). highly-elliptical-orbit (HEO) satellites are
usually only useful when moving slowly round high apogee.

> Can you direct me to an informative website or certain reference
> whitepapers with practical description of LEO's and their use by
> Internet Carriers?

Well, Network Magazine has a reasonable current summary with some
further reading pointers in this week:

http://www.networkmagazine.com/article/NMG20020104S0001/1
(and /2 and /3)
Emerging Technology: Broadband from Outer Space
Andy Dornan, 7 January 2002.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>