Subject: Re: SKIPWARE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:58:03 +0530

Hi,

I went to the SKIPWARE website and could only find results for a single
terminal, file transfer
case. Is SKIPWARE designed for dynamically shared environments? Are there any
results
available?

-best regards,
Abheek

Eric Travis <[email-masked]> on 08/24/2002 03:16:18 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Abheek Saha/HSS)

Subject:  Re: SKIPWARE

 At 00:37 PM 8/23/2002 -0700, Fred Baker wrote:

>Without complete knowledge, I'll bet it terminates the TCP session at
>each end of the satellite link, moves the file across as rapidly as
>possible, and uses TCP to deliver the file to the link and from the link
>to the destination.

Pretty much - the only thing that I'd offer in addition is that TCP is
used across the satellite link in order to move the stream as efficiently
as possible; Certain capabilties (those requiring participation of the
receiver-side) are negotiated on the SYN exchange (TCP option 20).

The use of TCP makes worlds of difference when it comes to deploying these
things as you can be asymmetric (only deploy at a hub and not at all (any)
of the spokes) and still get quite a bit of the advantages - assuming of
course that most of the traffic volume flows *toward* the spokes.

It's our product, so I won't answer Bob's original question on list;

Regards,

Eric