Subject: [Teas-ns-dt] Questions and comments

From: Shunsuke Homma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 10:27:03 +0900

Hi NS-DT members,

I'm catching up your past discussions, and I have some questions and comments.

- For whom will you design network slicing architecture? Operators, tenants, or others? I assume that the architecture will be
different depending on the target. For example, if slices are designed and used by tenants, some abstraction to expose network
information to tenants will be required.

- Do you have any other references from other SDOs excepting 5G (3GPP and GSAM)?  Certainly, focusig on 5G would be good approach,
but I assume slicing should be more general. For  example, as Reza mentioned in thee last web call, end-to-end slice will traverse
multiple domains including DN and external networks, but 3GPP has no responsibilities on out of the 5GS (RAN+5GC). In  short, for
realizing actual E2E slice, we need to consider interconnectivity among 5GS and other networks such as ISP or datacenter network.

- (Option) If you design transport slice for 5GS, you may need some approaches to propose it to 3GPP. (And it may be tough road,
because the milestones of 3GPP and IETF are much different.)

- Although Xufeng mentioned that computing would  be out of scope of this work, but I think it should be considered how to integrate
data paths and computing resources. There are some reasons:
   - Each slice is deployed based on service requirements, and some characteristics might be provided by service functions as VNFs.
In short, network slicing  potentially includes NFV and SFC mechanisms.
   - 5GS supports MEC (Mobile/Multi-access Edge Computing), and slice data plane should be deployed with considering location of
computing resources.
   
- Do you have any assumed use cases? As you may know, operators are looking for use cases which needs slicing, and it is difficult
to find concrete use cases. However they would be useful to design architecture, and thus I think you should have some assumptions.
( We are proceeding PoC and evaluation test with concrete applications which need slicing, and I will be able to introduce it in the
next IETF if you are interested in it.)

I hope you don't mind me writing such a long message.
Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Shunsuke

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------
Shunsuke Homma
<[email-masked]>
TEL: +81 422 59 3486
FAX: +81 422 60 7460

NTT Network Service Systems Labs.
Musashino-shi, Tokyo, Japan
--------------------------------------------------------