Subject: [Teas] Network Slicing Design Team - Draft Charter

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 23:56:11 +0200

Pavan, Lou,

Thanks for this. I think it is important work and should be set up. And I like the open model for doing design teams.

My main comment is that I think it would be beneficial to provide a bit more initial scoping, as the overall concepts are very broad. 

Here’s some potential suggestions for slightly tighter charter. A diff also included as an attachment.

Jari

—

TEAS Network Slicing Design Team (Draft)

The topic of "Slicing" has received significant industry attention due to its
role in 5G networks. General background on slicing can be found in
[1] and [2], but it is a broad topic that covers many different aspects from
business roles to services and networks.

Within the IETF the discussion has largely focused on the much narrower topic
of "Network Slicing". [3] provides a sample list of related individual
contributions. Much of the IETF disussion has focused on how the combination
of VPN and TE technologies can be used to deliver Network Slices. The TEAS
Network Slicing Design Team (NSDT) is being formed to develop a framework for
providing Network Slicing using existing TEAS and other IETF VPN/TE
technologies. The goal is to show how IETF IP and MPLS technologies can
be used to create specific, isolated, and managed network instances. The use
of such technology in networks and other SDOs is up to others; this work does
not imply that the IETF specifies how slicing in any particular setting
should be done.

The primary goal of the design team is to determine how existing technologies
can be used, but it is possible that some extensions to those technologies
are needed. If such extensions relate to technology from another working
group, any eventual work belongs to that group. The reuse of definitions and
technologies developed by other SDOs is also in scope, although extensions to
such will be done in the appropriate SDO. An important early deliverable from
the DT will be a proposed definition of what is in-scope and what is
out-of-scope for the WG on this topic.

The Design Team will have flexibility to decide on how best to develop,
document and present its work. The DT will provide regular updates and
reports to the TEAS working group. It will present an update on their status
and plans at IETF 106 (Singapore) - which will hopefully include an initial
discussion on scope. For IETF 107 (Vancouver) the goal for the DT is an
initial DT framework, and possibly draft, in time for discussion at the
meeting. A stable Draft is targeted for discussion at IETF 108. Once the
draft is accepted as a working group document, it will progress per TEAS
working group normal process.

The DT mailing list will be set up with the membership of this list limited
to the design team and the chairs, but its archive will be open. DT meetings
will be announced on the list and open to all. The specific workings,
including meeting schedules, of the DT are the discretion of the DT.