Subject: [Teas] Network Slicing Design Team

From: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 11:40:18 -0500

WG,
    This message announces the formation of the TEAS Network Slicing Design
Team.  The objectives and deliverables for the design team have been
updated based on public and private feedback and is enclosed. There are
changes from what was previously announced in (
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/teas/H3azyFI3kIaZDhxwEcSK1_O2CRA),
notably calling out scope as being focused on TE technology as the basis
for the DT’s work.

We thank all who expressed interest and willingness to join the design
team.  As we’re sure all will understand, it was not possible to include
all who volunteered in the team.  The aim of the DT remains to produce
documents that will follow the normal working process, so all will be able
to participate in and contribute to this work once we have a WG document as
it progresses through normal WG processing.  We do note that the objective
of the DT is to produce an initial draft and there is no requirement for
document authorship to be limited to or include all DT members, and as
usual, we expect a WG document to reflect actual contribution to the work.

Thank you,
WG Chairs: Pavan, Lou
DT Lead: Jari Arkko

TEAS Network Slicing Design Team (Draft)

The topic of “Slicing” has received significant industry attention due to
its  role in 5G networks.  General background on slicing can be found in
[1], but it is a broad topic that covers many different aspects from
business roles to services and networks.

Within the IETF the discussion has largely focused on the narrower topics
of “Network Slicing” and “Service Chaining”. [2] provides a sample list of
related individual contributions. Much of the IETF discussion has focused
on how the combination of VPN and TE technologies can be used to deliver
Network Slices. The TEAS Network Slicing Design Team (NSDT) is being formed
to develop a framework for providing Network Slicing using IETF TE
technologies. The expectation is for IETF technologies such as IP, MPLS and
GMPLS, to  be used to create specific, isolated, and managed network
instances. The use of such technology in networks and other SDOs is up to
others; this work does not imply that the IETF specifies how slicing in any
particular setting should be done.

The primary goal of the design team is to determine how existing
technologies can be used, but it is possible that some extensions to those
technologies are needed. If such extensions relate to technology from
another working group, any eventual work belongs to that group. The reuse
of definitions and technologies developed by other SDOs is also in scope,
although extensions to such will be done in the appropriate SDO. An
important early deliverable to the working group from the design team will
be a proposed refinement of what is in-scope and what is out-of-scope for
the WG on this topic.

The design team will have the flexibility to decide on how best to develop,
document and present its work. The design team will provide regular updates
and reports to the TEAS working group.  It will present an update on their
status and plans at IETF 106 (Singapore) - which will hopefully include an
initial discussion on scope.  For  IETF 107 (Vancouver) the goal for the
design team is an initial design team framework, and possibly draft, in
time for discussion at the meeting.  A stable draft is targeted for
discussion at IETF 108. Note authorship of design team draft(s) will be
based on contribution to the work, not membership in the design team. Once
the draft is accepted as a working group document, it will progress per
TEAS working group normal process.

The design team mailing list has been set up with the membership of this
list limited to the design team and the chairs, but its archive is open and
any may send to this list.  Design team meetings will be announced on the
list and open to all.  The specific workings, including meeting schedules,
of the design team are the discretion of the team.

The mailing list for the design team is: [email-masked]
The archive can be found at:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/teas-ns-dt/

The members of the design team are:
    Aijun Wang <[email-masked]>
    Belo, Sergio <[email-masked]>
    Dong Jie (Jimmy)  <[email-masked]>
    Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
    Geng Xuesong <[email-masked]>
    Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>                 [Lead]
    Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
    John E Drake <[email-masked]>
    Luis M. Contreras <[email-masked]>
    Rakesh Gandhi  <[email-masked]>
    Ran Chen <[email-masked]>
    Ricard Vilalta <[email-masked]>
    Rokui, Reza <[email-masked]>
    Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
    Tomonobu Niwa <[email-masked]>
    Xufeng Liu <[email-masked]>

[1] Background documents defining slicing in general:
https://5g-ppp.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/5G-PPP-5G-Architecture-White-Paper_v3.0_PublsicConsultation.pdf
and https://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/28_series/28.530/28530-f10.zip
[2] IETF drafts related to the general topic of network slicing:
draft-ali-spring-network-slicing-building-blocks
draft-arkko-arch-virtualization
draft-bryant-rtgwg-enhanced-vpn
draft-defoy-netslices-3gpp-network-slicing
draft-dong-lsr-sr-enhanced-vpn
draft-dong-network-slicing-problem-statement
draft-dong-rtgwg-enhanced-vpn-protocol
draft-dong-spring-sr-for-enhanced-vpn
draft-dong-teas-enhanced-vpn
draft-drake-bess-enhanced-vpn
draft-eastlake-bess-enhance-evpn-all-active
draft-flinck-slicing-management
draft-galis-netslices-revised-problem-statement
draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn
draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing
draft-lee-rtgwg-actn-applicability-enhanced-vpn
draft-netslices-usecases
draft-peng-lsr-network-slicing
draft-rokui-5g-transport-slice
draft-qiang-coms-netslicing-information-model
draft-xuan-dmm-multicast-mobility-slicing
draft-zch-lsr-isis-network-slicing
draft-zhuang-bess-enhanced-vpn-auto-discovery

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 17:57:05 +0300

I wanted to provide a brief initial update.

The design team is setting up its work and is starting to discuss scope. The mailing list archive is open and at https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/teas-ns-dt/.

We will have our first call soon today (30/9 5PM CET, https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/teas-ns-dt/X44Ov3ghzAzsWMxsel2ma7V-olc), with the agenda consisting mostly of the team setting up, and plan to have weekly calls from now on. All feedback, ideas etc are always welcome; you should be able to send mail to the list at [email-masked] if you have something on your mind. Our calls will also be open.

Jari