Subject: [Teas] Update to draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-01.txt

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 22:11:16 +0100

Hi WG,

This update is just to flush my edit buffer.

Dhruv raised the question as to whether a TE solution MUST include all three
elements described in Section 1.2, viz:
   1.  Policy
   2.  Path steering
   3.  Resource management

I have added this paragraph

   The key elements required in any TE solution are as follows.  Some TE
   solutions rely on these elements to a lesser or greater extent.
   Debate remains about whether a solution can truly be called Traffic
   Engineering that does not include all of these elements.  For the
   sake of this document we assert that all TE solutions must include
   some aspects of all of these elements.  Other solutions can be
   classed as "partial TE" and also fall in scope of this document.

The term "partial TE" feels a bit clunky, and we might use terms more
specific to what they describe. For example, we might look at BIER tree
engineering and Segment Routing policy as mentioned by Dhruv.

Cheers,
Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: Teas <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: 13 July 2020 21:49
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Teas] I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and
Signaling WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Overview and Principles of Internet Traffic
Engineering
        Author          : Adrian Farrel
	Filename        : draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 77
	Date            : 2020-07-13

Abstract:
   This document describes the principles of Traffic Engineering (TE) in
   the Internet.  The document is intended to promote better
   understanding of the issues surrounding traffic engineering in IP
   networks and the networks that support IP networking, and to provide
   a common basis for the development of traffic engineering
   capabilities for the Internet.  The principles, architectures, and
   methodologies for performance evaluation and performance optimization
   of operational networks are discussed throughout this document.

   This work was first published as RFC 3272 in May 2002.  This document
   obsoletes RFC 3272 by making a complete update to bring the text in
   line with best current practices for Internet traffic engineering and
   to include references to the latest relevant work in the IETF.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
Teas mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/teas