Subject: [Teas] draft-bestbar-teas-yang-topology-filter - Routing Policy for filtering topologies

From: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:18:50 -0600

I believe the gist of Sue's questions/concerns from yesterday's WG session
is the following (@Sue -- please correct me if that isn't the case):

- Why do we need a topology-filter construct when we have routing policies ?

Routing policies filter routes. The topology-filter construct defined in
this document filters network topologies (more specifically, TE aware
native and customized network topologies that may or may not be learnt via
routing protocols). If the relevant topology database is maintained as a
RIB (I acknowledge implementations can do that), then routing-policies can
play a role in filtering the entries in the RIB. But that isn't the target
implementation for this draft.

We'll add text in the next revision to clarify the scope and motivation
(please see my response to Loa on the target use-cases) behind the
introduction of this construct. We'll also add usage examples in the
appendix. The proposal does not intend to tread on other important work
being done elsewhere and that should become clear after we publish the next
revision (if it isn't already).

Regards,
-Pavan (as a co-author)