Subject: [Teas] A question about the interpretation of "performance monitoring" in draft-ietf-teas-actn-pm-telemetry-autonomics

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:15:26 -0700

Dear Authors,
thank you for all your work on the document. As you can see from the
subject line, I am interested in how performance monitoring is
interpreted in your draft. You've noted in the Introduction that:
   The term performance monitoring is used in this document in a
   different from how the term has been used in TE networks for many
   years.  Performance monitoring in this document refers to
   subscription and publication of streaming telemetry data.
I think that it would be helpful to add a reference to the document that,
in your opinion, provides a different, "traditional" interpretation of
performance monitoring in TE networks. Personally, I don't see any
significant differences as I consider publication/subscription as a *method
*of performance monitoring. In my understanding, collecting information
using YANG notifications can be classified, according to RFC 7799, as a
passive measurement method (similar to SNMP queries). Another example of
the PM OAM method is an active measurement, e.g., using TWAMP or STAMP.
Lately, we've seen the development of a new type of PM - hybrid methods
that combine characteristics of passive and active methods.
I greatly appreciate your opinions on this and whether you think the draft
can use RFC 7799-style classification of performance measurement methods.

Regards,
Greg

---

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:59:29 +0530

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. Will it be possible for you to propose the exact
text change you would like to see and we could discuss that? I can draft
the text but as you are the subject-matter-expert, I am sure you would do a
much better job :)

Thanks!
Dhruv

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:15:37 -0700

Hi Dhruv,
thank you for your expedient and very kind response to my notes. I will
gladly work on refining the text. My general approach would be to position
the YANG notification mechanism as a passive measurement method according
to RFC 7799. Would that be acceptable?

Regards,
Greg

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 9:30 PM Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I greatly appreciate your opinions on this and whether you think the
>> draft can use RFC 7799-style classification of performance measurement
>> methods.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Greg
>>
>

---

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 14:17:17 +0530

Hi Greg,

Is there a way to wordsmith this to say the actual measurements might be
via any technique, but the act of subscription and publication of the
measurements is considered "passive". I hope I understood that correctly.
Looking forward to your text.

Thanks!
Dhruv

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 1:45 PM Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I think that it would be helpful to add a reference to the document
>>> that, in your opinion, provides a different, "traditional" interpretation
>>> of performance monitoring in TE networks. Personally, I don't see any

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:49:36 -0700

Hi Dhruv,
yes, your understanding is absolutely correct.

Regards,
Greg

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 1:47 AM Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the feedback. Will it be possible for you to propose the
>>> exact text change you would like to see and we could discuss that? I can
>>> draft the text but as you are the subject-matter-expert, I am sure you
>>> would do a much better job :)
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Dhruv
>>>
>>>> *of performance monitoring. In my understanding, collecting
>>>> information using YANG notifications can be classified, according to RFC
>>>> 7799, as a passive measurement method (similar to SNMP queries). Another
>>>> example of the PM OAM method is an active measurement, e.g., using TWAMP or
>>>> STAMP. Lately, we've seen the development of a new type of PM - hybrid
>>>> methods that combine characteristics of passive and active methods.