Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:36:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Traffic Engineering Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Framework for Internet Traffic Engineering 
                          Measurement
	Author(s)	: W. Lai, R. Tibbs, S. Van den Berghe
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2003-1-10
	
In this document, a measurement framework for supporting the traffic 
engineering of IP-based networks is presented.  Uses of traffic 
measurement in service provider environments are described, and 
issues related to time scale and read-out period are discussed.  
Different measurement types are classified, with each being 
specified as a meaningful combination of a measurement entity and a 
measurement basis. 
For interoperable compatibility, uniform definitions across vendors 
and operators must be ensured, e.g., in the distinction between 
offered load and achieved throughput.  To aid network dimensioning, 
mechanisms to collect node-pair-based traffic data should be 
developed to facilitate the derivation of per-service-class traffic 
matrix statistics.  For service assurance, there is a need for the 
use of higher-order statistics.  To preserve representative traffic 
detail at manageable sample volumes, there is a need for packet-
sampled measurements.  To manage large volume of measured data, use 
of bulk transfer and filtering/aggregation mechanisms may be 
appropriate.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Jim Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:39:45 -0500 (EST)

This draft has definitely honed itself to its purpose from its earliest 
versions.  However it never appears to get wide comment or show of hands 
of folks that have reviewed it. 

So... Please do so.

I'll give us 3 weeks for folks to comment along these lines.

1) is this draft on-target for the TE measurements milestone we have in 
   our charter?  If you think it is off-target I would be interested 
   in hearing how we should deal with this portion of our charter.

2) minor / editorial comments to list and/or author

3) substantial comments to list

Last call will end February 7.

thanks!

Jim Boyle

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:38:51 +0100

jim, all,

in section 5.3, would it be possible to detail the
real scope behind the following paragraph:

"Providing a feedback mechanism in the reverse flow messaging of 
 RSVP-TE or CR-LDP signaling in MPLS to report on actual topology 
 state information such as link bandwidth availability."

more precisely, detail the relationship between "signalling
in mpls" and the report to "actual topology state information" 
since there are imho several ways to interpret the above 
sentence

thanks,
- dimitri.

-- 
Papadimitriou Dimitri 
E-mail : [email-masked] 
Private: http://www.rc.bel.alcatel.be/~papadimd/index.html
E-mail : [email-masked]
Public : http://psg.com/~dpapadimitriou/
Address: Fr. Wellesplein 1, B-2018 Antwerpen, Belgium
Phone  : Work: +32 3 2408491 - Home: +32 2 3434361

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:40:36 -0500

>    in hearing how we should deal with this portion of our charter.

         I think it reasonably addresses the requirement.  I
reviewed the document a few months back and made
suggestions for corrections to the list which seem to have
been made in the current version.

         --Tom

> > implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the

"The difficult, we do immediately.  The impossible takes a little longer." 
-- Air Force Motto

http://www.mkp.com/books_catalog/catalog.asp?ISBN=1-55860-751-X