Subject: RE: Multi-AS needs : draft-zhang-mpls-interas-te-req-02.txt

From: "LE ROUX Jean-Louis FTRD/DAC/LAN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:51:24 +0100

Hi Jim and all

>Scenario 4 looks right up our alley though.  So I have to ask - what
about 
>current protocol specifications limits you from trying a few different 
>approaches to Multi-AS TE?

One of the various applications of inter-AS MPLS-TE is the provisioning
of L2VPN services with PEs located in two distinct ASs.
Typically such services have strict end-to-end QoS requirements that can
definitively not be ensured with current intra AS TE mechanisms.
Indeed a combination of intra-AS TE deployment cannot provide e2e TE,
e2e QoS, inter-AS link protection, ASBR protection,...

Regards

JL

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Jim Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoye : mardi 4 mars 2003 18:11
A : [email-masked]
Objet : Multi-AS needs : draft-zhang-mpls-interas-te-req-02.txt

It seems to me that there are a few different requirements in this
draft, 
taking a look at the scenarios in section 4, we have

1) Virtual POP - extend network through another's, place your
	edge router (PE) in someone elses POP w/o direct connectivity
	to your network.

2) Similar to 4.1, but in this case virtually extend your edge port
	onto another providers router (or all the way to customer).

3) CE to CE w/ QOS quarantees from multiple providers

4) Multi-AS TE within one Provider (e.g. global)

5) Extend one's network through another

Scenarios 1-3 and 5 to me just seem to be inter-provider VPN
requirements 
(w/ a little QoS for flavor).  So it seems the bulk of the discussion 
should happen elsewhere, right?

Scenario 4 looks right up our alley though.  So I have to ask - what
about 
current protocol specifications limits you from trying a few different 
approaches to Multi-AS TE?

thanks,

Jim

---

From: Jim Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:48:11 -0500 (EST)

Why can't strict trans-as qos gaurentees be obtained today?

Is the reason technical or "other"?