Subject: [therightkey] Summary of change proposals

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:20:20 -0500

Just how close are all these proposals being made?

Well if we leave the key distribution side of DANE to one side, the
proposals we have seen raised have much more in common than they are
different. They all involve some element of security policy, some
element of analysis and some element of enforcement.

The differences lie in what the scope of the security policy is and
the degree to which the analysis is constrained by a notarized proof.
There are pros and cons to each model, SK and CT severely limit the
scope of the trust broker using cryptography which prevents default.
But that also eliminates discretion and limits the cases where the
trust broker can assist to cases where the guilt of the attacker is
proven beyond doubt.

The attached paper is a draft, trying to boil down these proposals to
their essentials is not easy, particularly given the limited data some
have made available. I'll revise it as necessary.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/