Subject: [TICTOC] [Fwd: Re: NTPv5 bar BOF?]

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:57:09 +0100

Resending Kurtis's draft so that its in the list archive for context

- Stewart

Network Working Group                                       K. Lindqvist
Internet-Draft                                  Netnod Internet Exchange
Intended status: Standards Track                           July 26, 2006
Expires: January 27, 2007

     Problem statement for a version 5 of the Network Time Protocol
                   draft-kurtis-ntpv5-problem-00.txt

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on January 27, 2007.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

Abstract

   New services across the Internet have different requirements of
   distribution of time and frequency than what the current Internet
   protocols can provide.  Today time is distributed with version 4 of
   the Network Time Protocol (NTP) draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-02.txt.
   This document outlines what those requirements on a future version of
   the NTP protocol are and give the motivation for them.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  Terminology  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.  Algorithms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   4.  Time and date  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   5.  Frequency and Phasing  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   6.  Wire protocol  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
     6.1.  Fail-over  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
     6.2.  Server state . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   7.  Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     7.1.  OEM  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     7.2.  MIB  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   8.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   9.  Protocol Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
   10. IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 14

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

1.  Introduction

   INSERT TEXT - Probably last when we have everything fleshed out.

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

2.  Terminology

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

   IPR: Intellectual Property Rights.

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 4]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

3.  Algorithms

   Today we can do better performing algorithms than what is used in
   NTPv4.  Solutions to this will not be backwards compatible, and is
   one of the motivations for a new protocol.

   Various applications will have different needs.  There is a need to
   support various algorithms based on the applications.

   INSERT TEXT

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 5]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

4.  Time and date

   INSERT TEXT

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 6]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

5.  Frequency and Phasing

   INSERT TEXT

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 7]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

6.  Wire protocol

   INSERT TEXT

6.1.  Fail-over

6.2.  Server state

   In order to make the protocol scalable on the server side, the
   protocol MUST NOT require stateful queries, i.e queries over TCP.
   Some of the busier NTP-servers in the world see simultaneous queries
   on the order of XXX XXX.

   INSERT TEXT

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 8]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

7.  Management

   INSERT TEXT

7.1.  OEM

   INSERT TEXT

7.2.  MIB

   INSERT TEXT

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007                [Page 9]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

8.  Security Considerations

   INSERT TEXT

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007               [Page 10]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

9.  Protocol Considerations

   This document does not impose any protocol considerations.

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007               [Page 11]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

10.  IANA Considerations

   This document requests no action from IANA.

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007               [Page 12]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

Author's Address

   Kurt Erik Lindqvist
   Netnod Internet Exchange
   Bellmansgatan 30
   118 47 Stockholm
   Sweden

   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.netnod.se/

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007               [Page 13]

Internet-Draft                   Anycast                       July 2006

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).

   This document is subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions
   contained in BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors
   retain all their rights.

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
   ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is provided by the IETF
   Administrative Support Activity (IASA).

Lindqvist               Expires January 27, 2007               [Page 14]


<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>    

<!DOCTYPE rfc SYSTEM "rfc2629.dtd" [
    <!ENTITY rfc2119 PUBLIC '' 
      'http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.2119.xml'>
]>                                                                           

<rfc category="std" ipr="full3978"
    docName="draft-kurtis-ntpv5-problem-00.txt">
<?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='rfc2629.xslt' ?>

<?rfc toc="yes" ?>
<?rfc symrefs="yes" ?>
<?rfc sortrefs="yes"?>
<?rfc iprnotified="no" ?>
<?rfc strict="yes" ?>        

  <front>
    <title abbrev="Anycast">Problem statement for a version 5 of the Network Time Protocol</title>
    
    <author initials="K." surname="Lindqvist" fullname="Kurt Erik Lindqvist">
      <organization>Netnod Internet Exchange</organization>
      <address>
	<postal>
	  <street>Bellmansgatan 30</street>
	  <city>118 47 Stockholm</city>
	  <country>Sweden</country>
	</postal>
	<email>[email-masked]</email>
	<uri>http://www.netnod.se/</uri>
      </address>
    </author>

    <date/>
    <area>Internet</area>
    <workgroup></workgroup>

    <keyword>NTP</keyword>
    <keyword>Frequency</keyword>
    <keyword>Time</keyword>

    <abstract>
      <t>
	New services across the Internet have different requirements
	of distribution of time and frequency than what the current
	Internet protocols can provide. Today time is distributed with
	version 4 of the Network Time Protocol (NTP)
	draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-02.txt. This document outlines what
	those requirements on a future version of the NTP protocol are
	and give the motivation for them.
      </t>
    </abstract>
  </front>

  <middle>
    <section anchor="introduction" title="Introduction">
      <t>
	INSERT TEXT - Probably last when we have everything fleshed
	out. 
      </t>
    </section>

    <section anchor="terminology" title="Terminology">
      <t>
	The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
        "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
        this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
      </t>
      <t>
	IPR: Intellectual Property Rights.
      </t>

    </section>

    <section title="Algorithms">
      <t>
	Today we can do better performing algorithms than what is used
	in NTPv4. Solutions to this will not be backwards compatible,
	and is one of the motivations for a new protocol.
      </t>
      <t>
	Various applications will have different needs. There is a
	need to support various algorithms based on the applications.
      </t>
      <t>
	INSERT TEXT
      </t>
    </section>

    <section title="Time and date">
      <t>
	INSERT TEXT
      </t>
    </section>

    <section title="Frequency and Phasing">
      <t>
	INSERT TEXT
      </t>
    </section>

    <section title="Wire protocol">
      <t>
	INSERT TEXT
      </t>
      <section title="Fail-over">
	<t>
	</t>
      </section>
      <section title="Server state">
	<t>
	  In order to make the protocol scalable on the server side,
	  the protocol MUST NOT require stateful queries, i.e queries
	  over TCP. Some of the busier NTP-servers in the world see
	  simultaneous queries on the order of XXX XXX. 
	</t>
	<t>
	  INSERT TEXT
	</t>
      </section>
    </section>

    <section title="Management">
      <t>
	INSERT TEXT
      </t>
      <section title="OEM">
	<t>
	  INSERT TEXT
	</t>
      </section>

      <section title="MIB">
	<t>
	  INSERT TEXT
	</t>
      </section>
    </section>

    <section title="Security Considerations">
      <t>
	INSERT TEXT
      </t>
    </section>

    <section title="Protocol Considerations">
      <t>This document does not impose any protocol considerations.</t>
    </section>

    <section title="IANA Considerations">
      <t>This document requests no action from IANA.</t>
    </section>

  </middle>

  <back>
  </back>
</rfc>

_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc