Subject: [TICTOC] 802.1AS and AVT

From: "Yaakov Stein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:06:17 +0200

Hi all, 
 
I don't know how many of you follow the AVT WG list,
but last week there were several threads concerning
802.1AS (AVB) working together with AVT on timing issues.
I include the first email below.

As this may impact tictoc, I think it best for us to have a look,
and to participate in the AVT WG session on Tuesday morning.
 
You can find out more on 802.1AS at http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1as.html

BTW, when are we going to get together in SD
(I am leaving on Thursday).

Y(J)S

===================================
From:  Michael D. Johas Teener

I¹m the chair of the IEEE 802.1 Audio/Video Bridging Task Group
(see http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/avbridges.html <http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/avbridges.html>  and the older
one for Residential Ethernet at http://www.ieee802.org/3/ <http://www.ieee802.org/3/> 
re_study.html). We¹ve been given the job of bringing QoS
appropriate for A/V applications into 802 networks, starting with
Ethernet and quickly adding 802.11 and 802.16. By far most of our
work will be in the bridges where we will have three major
enhancements:

Precise time synchronization so that every network element will
have access to a very high quality clock (done via a layer 2
profile of the new revision of IEEE 1588). This is being done as
project 802.1AS, and it¹s well on its way.

An admission control protocol that allows an endpoint to
communicate its QoS requirements for a particular stream to all the
network elements between the source and the sink. This is currently
called the ³Stream Reservation Protocol² and will be done as
project 802.1at. This is a gross simplification of the kind of
thing done in RSVP (it¹s only 1:n, only specifies two different
traffic classes, etc., etc.).

A traffic regulation/forwarding/queuing specification for the
streams set up by SRP that defines how the appropriate frames are
filtered/tagged/queued inside bridges, and the nature of the
traffic shaping required by the transmitter. This will be done as
project 802.1av (clever, eh?).

I personally think that the primary internet layer for these
services will be RTP and its related family of specifications, but
I¹m no expert, and I¹d feel really uncomfortable if there isn¹t a
fairly intense level of interaction between the RTP community and
our TG.

I wonder if you could help us get that process started? Is there
some venue that we could present what we have done so far and our
intent for the future?

_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc