Subject: [TICTOC] Proposed charter/well-engineered networks

From: "STUART VENTERS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:25:10 -0600

(At the risk of expanding an already big charter...)

The proposed charter says:

'The ultimate system-level accuracy of time and frequency transfer 
depends on a number of factors outside the scope of the protocols 
themselves. Thus, even if it is possible for TICTOC to make a number of 
improvements at the protocol level to facilitate more accurate time and 
frequency transfer, it is impossible for the WG to provide system-level 
accuracy guarantees on its own.'

Transporting 'highly accurate time' without 'accuracy guarantees' seems contradictory.

For transporting time without on-path support,
   the problem can be split into two equally important parts:
	1) The protocol and control algorithms
	2) The engineering of the packet path

Number 1 looks like it will be covered pretty well.

For Number 2, perhaps accuracy guarantees would be possible,
    given some guidelines for the characteristics of a 'well engineered' packet path.

_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc