Subject: [TICTOC] FW: IEEE 1588 availability

From: "Laurent Montini (lmontini)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:46:23 +0200

FYI- 

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: mardi 29 juillet 2008 23:10
To: undisclosed-recipients
Subject: IEEE 1588 availability and ISPCS deadlines
Importance: High

To all:

Several items pertaining to IEEE 1588-2008.

1.    The editorial work on IEEE 1588-2008 has been completed by the
IEEE editors. I am told that the final version should be on the IEEE
Standards Association web site within a few weeks. The title already
appears if you search on 1588 however I have been told that it is only a
placeholder at this point in time. My only advice is to try periodically
to see if you can actually complete the purchase process on the site.
http://standards.ieee.org/ 

2.    The correct title of the standard is 1588-2008 IEEE Standard for a
Precision Clock Synchronization Protocol for Networked Measurement and
Control Systems
<JavaScript:c_d(s_12,new%20Array(%221-2414Y%22,%22s_5_2_9_2%22,%22SWERow
Id0=1-2414Y%22),s_13,s_14,this)>   

3.    Sometime later this year this standard will also appear on the
site as 61588:2008 reflecting its status as an IEC standard. The IEC
approval process is in process.

Regards,

john

____________________________________________________________ 

John Eidson  

Wrt the two drafts (draft-rodrigues-lindqvist-tictoc-req-00 and
draft-stein-tictoc-modules-02), I guess the reference should be changed
with PTP as the protocol, with reference to 1588-2002 as the first
iteration (with PTP v1) and 1588-2008 as the newest version of "IEEE
Standard for a Precision Clock Synchronization Protocol for Networked
Measurement and Control Systems".
 
For instance
in draft-rodrigues-lindqvist-tictoc-req-00.txt, Annex A.3
 
   There are two well-known protocols capable of running over a general-

   purpose packet network, NTP [RFC1305], and PTP [1588].  NTP is

   the product of the IETF, and is currently undergoing revision to

   version 4.  PTP (a product of the IEEE 1588 Test and Measurement

   community) is specified in a limited first version (1588-2002), and 

   the second version was approved recently (1588-2008).

and Annex A.3.2
 
   The information exchange component of IEEE 1588 is a protocol known
as

   Precision Time Protocol (PTP). PTP version 1 (1588-2002) was a time

   transfer protocol that exclusively used a fairly crude multicast
technique.

   It is widely anticipated that wide scale deployment of PTP will be
based 

   on PTP version 2 (1588-2008).

Or

   IEEE Std 1588-2002 was a time transfer protocol that exclusively used
a

   fairly crude multicast technique.  It is widely anticipated that wide

   scale deployment of 1588 will be based on 1588-2008.  The

   information exchange component of IEEE 1588 is a protocol known as

   Precision Time Protocol (PTP).

Few other instances afterwards.
 
BTW, I believe we should make the distinction between the protocol (PTP)
and the clock functions that can be used with PTP and that 1588
described.
This is what Annex A points out in 3.2 

   The information exchange component of IEEE 1588 is a protocol known
as

   Precision Time Protocol (PTP). 

but that becomes confusing in other part of the text.

.lm   

_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc