Subject: Re: [TICTOC] Requirements draft - call for assistance

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:11:53 -0400

Roger Sundman wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> There is a need for traceable time in the financial market and there is a
> (coming?) directive from the EC comission for traceable time for use in cash
> registers. Seismic exploration, military and transportation is  some other
> applications.
> 
> Best regards
> Roger  

This is really a meaningless answer. What accuracy is needed and why?
What if you don't get it? What it the jitter is too large? What is too
large for each of these applications. Does the financial market need to
 have accuracy to minutes, seconds, milliseconds? Ditto for the other
applications. For all we know NTP as it is today is good enough.

Danny
_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc

---

From: "Roger Sundman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:42:48 +0100

Danny,

I agree with you on my previous mail and what I should have said is that a
number of applications will have a need for accurate time and financial is
only one of them. The problem might be that they and others currently have
no presence in TICTOC and not even know of its existence?

Roger

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Danny Mayer [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Skickat: den 26 oktober 2008 02:12
Till: Roger Sundman
Kopia: [email-masked]
Ämne: Re: [TICTOC] Requirements draft - call for assistance

Danny

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:54:23 -0400

Dear Danny;

> applications. For all we know NTP as it is today is good enough.

I worked in timing and with timing for 20 years and we would almost  
never get answers to those questions either.

The reason, I think, is twofold : Most people outside the timing  
community don't understand the issues, and
people are afraid that stating a requirement would result in a bill or  
in a line of attack (if they don't pay that bill).

In fact, as a rule of thumb the stronger the timing requirement  
statement is the more likely it comes from what the timing community  
has stated it can do.

So, what is generally done, and what I would urge here, is to

- figure out what accuracy is realistic (in this case, how good we  
realistically can do with router assistance) and
- make that the goal and
- figure out what benefits that might bring.

Regards
Marshall