Subject: [TICTOC] Requirements for general internet time

From: "Doug Arnold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:46:18 -0800

Here is a proposed description of use cases and requirements for general
internet time, which I took to mean traditional uses of ntp by IT
professionals.

//Doug Arnold

_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:35:05 +0100

> internet time, which I took to mean traditional uses of ntp by IT 

I'm somewhat suprised that measurements of IP performance aren't part of
the use cases.   I'd love to be able to do these without having to install
GPS everywhere.

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ceterum censeo Asplain esse delendam  (Cato & Henk)
_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:40:19 -0500

>the use cases.   I'd love to be able to do these without having to install

Network Measurement Systems are part of the Network SLA category.

Al

---

From: "Doug Arnold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:02:22 -0800

I agree with Henk, that IP performance measurements without GPS is an
important use case.  In fact it is more relevant to TICTOC than what I
described, since there is a real need to remove network asymmetries and
improve the accuracy.  

It was my understanding that this was going to be treated as a separate
application area.  I think called metrology.  Has anyone submitted
requirements for this?

//Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Henk Uijterwaal [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 5:35 AM
To: Doug Arnold
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] Requirements for general internet time

I'm somewhat suprised that measurements of IP performance aren't part of
the use cases.   I'd love to be able to do these without having to
install
GPS everywhere.

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email:
henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------