Subject: [TICTOC] Principles of Robust Timing over the Internet

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 23:16:35 -0400

You may be interested in this article written by a couple of chaps in
Australia, just published by the ACM.

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1773943

There's also a PDF of it:
http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=1773943&type=pdf

I don't know if any of this will be helpful for tictoc but it's worth
sending out and their RADclock looks interesting.

Danny

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 07:46:37 -0400

> sending out and their RADclock looks interesting.

This is an interesting article, without really much in the way of  
details. A few things that strike me

- They seem to be achieving performance at
the level of 10's of microseconds (in the lab) without any router  
assistance.

- they focus on "difference clocks" instead of absolute clocks. (In  
other words, this is more syntonization than synchronization.)

- they use a "feed-forward" approach, what I would call a paper clock  
(where the underlying clock is not adjusted, and time corrections are  
applied to its readings) and argue that this provides better stability  
in an network environment.

- they don't allow for meshes, and so have no way to bound path  
asymmetries

Regards
Marshall

>
> Danny
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> TICTOC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc
>