Subject: [TICTOC] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-enterprise-profile-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:57:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Timing over IP Connection and Transfer of Clock Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Enterprise Profile for the Precision Time Protocol With Mixed Multicast and Unicast Messages
        Authors         : Doug Arnold
                          Heiko Gerstung
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-enterprise-profile-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2014-10-23

Abstract:
    This document describes a profile for the use of the Precision
    Time Protocol in an IPV4 or IPv6 Enterprise information system
    environment.  The profile uses the End to End Delay Measurement
    Mechanism, allows both multicast and unicast Delay Request and Delay
    Response Messages.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-enterprise-profile/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-enterprise-profile-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-enterprise-profile-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:44:17 +0100

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-enterprise-profile-04

I think the following passage from Section 14, page 11, is
unnecessarily restrictive.

     Enterprise Profile Clocks will interoperate with clocks operating
     in other profiles if the clocks in the other profiles obey the
     rules of the Enterprise Profile.  These rules MUST NOT be changed
     to achieve interoperability with other profiles.

I doubt you can prevent people from bending the rules with this sort
of text. This passage almost begs the question of why this profile is
so against interoperability in the first place.

Thanks,
Richard