Subject: [TICTOC] PTP Enterprise profile TLV clarification

From: Wojciech Owczarek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 15:24:48 +0100

All,

I'm looking for some clarification around the Enterprise Profile identifier
TLV defined in the draft. In particular - how it maps onto the
ORGANIZATION_EXTENSION TLV as per IEEE 1588. The TLV as a whole new TLV is
fine, however it uses an existing TLV, so it should conform.

1588:

tlvType 2 octets, lengthField 2 octets, oui 3 octets, orgSubType 3 octets,
dataField N octets.

Enterprise Profile - all matches up to OUI. Then we have:

Profile number: 1 octet, Revision Number: 1 octet, Port Number: 2 octets,
MaxPhaseAdj: 2 octets

My question is: how do the 2 octets of profile number and revision number
align with the 3-octet SubType field? If they do not, then this TLV does
not meet the 14.3.2 spec. If they do, then the draft should clearly specify
how the profile/revision map onto the SubType field.

The org-specific structure begins with the dataField, not orgSubType -
unless the intention is to use the "shall" escape in 14.3.2.5.

My suggestion would be that either:

- some fixed "TICTOC" ID is placed into the SubType, and all other fields
are in the DataField, and that is clearly defined in the profile RFC,

- a mapping of profile/revision to orgSubType is provided by the RFC, and a
statement that portNumber and maxPhaseAdj are mapped onto the DataField.

Any comments welcome, and apologies if this has already been discussed.

Regards,
Wojciech

-- 
-

Wojciech Owczarek

---

From: Douglas Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 08:32:22 -0400

Hello Wojciech,

The profile specific TLV in the Enterprise profile is most likely going to
be revised to fit developments in the IEEE 1588 working group within the
next few months.

Doug

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Wojciech Owczarek <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm looking for some clarification around the Enterprise Profile
> identifier TLV defined in the draft. In particular - how it maps onto the
> - a mapping of profile/revision to orgSubType is provided by the RFC, and
> a statement that portNumber and maxPhaseAdj are mapped onto the DataField.
>
> _______________________________________________
> TICTOC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc
>
>

-- 
Doug